Network Adapter, boosting wireless signal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ET/IT

In Runtime
Hello, this isn't an issue at all, just more of a question of how.

So, today, I just got my new Linksys AE1000 (I know, it's a bit of an older model), after switching out my previous Linksys N-Adapter.

I have a Verizon Modem/router GT704WG,

According to my Modem/Router Specs, it's only supposed to top 55Mbps within the distance the N-Adapter is. But according to a network check, (decided to look at it after an entire 8 min youtube vid was fully loaded in seconds) my N-Adapter is recieving 210Mbps. And I have no idea where the boost is coming from.

didn't even exist until I fully installed the N-Adapter. My PS3 is also surfing the web faster as well (in the same room as the laptop I'm on right now w/ the new adapter)

Going over the AE1000s specs, there is no mention of it actually being designed to boost a wireless signal.

Again, this isn't a complaint at all, not one bit, I'm just curious if I get another AE1000, will that boost the signal as well? And would this be a permanent change so long as the device is working?

My previous N-Adapter maxed at receiving 47 Mbps. Now the new one is receiving 210 Mbps from a Wirelessmode/router that should only be putting out 55 at the most.

Any tips one could use to identify the source of a boost in signal? I have never, so far, in my experience working a SOHO have I ever seen this before.

Any of you Network Techs/Administrators able to make heads or tails? If you need more info, just let me know.

It might be reporting 210Mbit but it will not do it between the router.
That router is limited to 54Mbit and cannot, in any way, put out more bandwidth than 54Mbit/s.

In total however, that N device has the bandwidth itself to push or pull 210Mbit so this may be why it's showing this speed.

As for downloading from YouTube faster, only thing I can think of is there was a problem with the last adapter and it was slowing you down. Unless your ISP has increased your speed, there would be no other way for it to become faster.

It might be reporting 210Mbit but it will not do it between the router.
That router is limited to 54Mbit and cannot, in any way, put out more bandwidth than 54Mbit/s.

In total however, that N device has the bandwidth itself to push or pull 210Mbit so this may be why it's showing this speed.

As for downloading from YouTube faster, only thing I can think of is there was a problem with the last adapter and it was slowing you down. Unless your ISP has increased your speed, there would be no other way for it to become faster.

That's why this confuses the crap out of me. The E1000 can actually push/pull up to 400Mbps, but what strikes me odd, is even with outside software, my modem/ router is putting out max of 54Mbps, but my laptop is bouncing between 210Mbps, and 215Mbps.

Which makes no sense in any way, because even the outside source software I've used, can't identify where the extra boost in the signal is coming from.

How are you measuring this speed? Are you moving around large files between hosts on the local network, or just via what windows is reporting?

SOHO? small office/home office?
What speed are the files being transfered at?

Yep, well, right now, I have no idea.

I'm F*ing my entire drive. To do a fresh install of VISTA.

I installed Ubuntu, and accidentally started a program called ORCA, of which, is so FUBAR I can't even believe it!:angry: Well, gotta learn Linux anyway, better to learn now than when my grades count on it.

So I'll get back to you on this when I re-install my networking stuff on the laptop w/ the AE1000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom