Need help PLEASE!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyrivet

Beta member
I had to install a new Gigabit Ethernet PCI Adapter. It was pretty simple, but after I completed all the steps it wouldn't work. I brought my computer to someone and they said it worked fine. They connected it to their modem and it went online perfectly. I brought my tower home and tried hooking it up again, but still nothing. When I hook up the modem to my laptop it connects fine, but it won't work on my tower. I also have a linksys router hooked up to it. When I plug the modem directly to the tower, the light that shows the ethernet card is working will not come on at all. When I plug the router to the computer and the modem to the router, the light comes on, but I am still not able to connect. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

Is your router set up and working with other computers? Excluding the laptop.

What type of internet do you have? I would guess dsl in which case you would need to set up PPoE. If it is cable you would need to set up a mac clone of your laptop in the router.

Your ISP's website will have instruction for setting up your router.

Could be a driver issue with your PCI Adapter, try this.

Go into device manager: My Computer/ Computer -> Manage -> Device Manager. Find the adapter (probably under network adapters), highlight it and click uninstall. Restart and reinstall the driver. Also uninstall any additional software that you use for the Adapter before restarting and reinstalling.

Hope this helps,
Brian

EDIT: Whoops, misread the problem, please refrain from doing this! I'll leave it here for reference, and to show how much of an idiota I am! Dohh.

EDIT, EDIT: What kind of router do you have? It's probably down to configuration, like the guy said above.

Could be a driver issue with your PCI Adapter, try this.

Go into device manager: My Computer/ Computer -> Manage -> Device Manager. Find the adapter (probably under network adapters), highlight it and click uninstall. Restart and reinstall the driver. Also uninstall any additional software that you use for the Adapter before restarting and reinstalling.

Hope this helps,
Brian

EDIT: Whoops, misread the problem, please refrain from doing this! I'll leave it here for reference, and to show how much of an idiota I am! Dohh.

EDIT, EDIT: What kind of router do you have? It's probably down to configuration, like the guy said above.

I have a kind of NETGEAR and he works well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom