Need help now please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

zildjianchris

In Runtime
Can someone tell me a little more about the following router. I need a router that will connect two computers and connect to the internet. It's for a friend, they already have a broadband modem. Should they buy a router/modem sorta thing, just not sure. If you have any useful information, it would be greatly appreciated.
http://www.dlink.com/products/?model=DI-704P
Thanks heaps.
PS: Need help really soon. Thanks

Is that a modem as well as a router, or will they have to connect the router to their existing modem somehow. And if so, how do i do it?

No that router isn't a modem. If they have already have a router, then they can just use that one. They don't have to buy a modem, just renting one will work fine to. If they plan on keeping high speed internet for a good amount of time, say a year, then it'd save them money in the long run to buy a modem. Just your preference.

I think you've misunderstood me. They already have a broadband modem. But they want to network both computers and for them both to be able to access the internet.

OK heres what you do. Attach a cable from the modem to the router. The modem should be recieving the connecting externally as well. From the router connect the 2 computers. Ensure everything is turned off when you connect these or it wont be setup correctly. Now in the following order turn the devices on. Modem first so it estableshes a connection. Router second so it knows that IP's it can use. Last the computers so that they can grab thier IP's from the router. Easy huh.

Oh one more thing sorry. Enusure that the modem boots up entirely before you start the router, and same for router before computers.

Well as long as everything is setup for DHCP, or auto detect settings, then there shouldn't need to be anything done in the PC itself. You may need to go into the router and configure one or two things, and you can use the manual for that cause most routers are different. But it should pick everything up automaticly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom