My Setup - problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RifleRed

Beta member
Ok, I'm connected to the internet with an Ethernet cable connected from my modem to the pc. I am not using my USB port in my modem because simply, I cannot find my USB cable and the internet installation disk.

I want to connect to Xbox Live without using my Ethernet Port in my modem. Is it possible I use a USB to LAN Adapter to plug into my modem to connect to my Xbox?

If this does not work, people in my house will not be able to surf the net while I'm on Xbox Live. This is a huge problem as alot of you probably know.

USB to LAN Adapter Image: http://www.globalsourcesdirect.com/catalog/FU-GS13.jpg

Thanks in advance.

I dont think its possible because the usb ports on the modems require a driver and the xbox cant use windows drivers.

what you need to get is a router, then the computers and xbox is connected to the net all the time.

As family stated, your best bet & least amout of headache will be to get yourself a router. You can get a decent router for under $50. I would recommend getting a wireless 802.11g router, and if you don't use the wireless now, you can simply disable it until you need it.

Your idea of the USB to ethernet port will not work, unless you can manage to hack into the modem, and change the firmware such that it will support that device, and frankly, that is a waste of time & effort if you don't know what you are doing, and you can brick the modem (meaning it will be garbage if you do something wrong).

Your only option other than getting a router is to connect the computer to the modem via USB, and then connect the computer's ethernet port to the Xbox, and enable ICS on the computer, but again, this will be a pain in the rear. In addition, ethernet is a better option for internet compared to USB, as you will see less delay, and random drop outs of the connection.

here are some routers to look at....

Buy Router, d-Link Router, Linksys Router, Gigafast Router at Newegg.com
Buy Wireless Router, Wireless Cable Router, Wireless DSL Router, 802.11b, 802.11g at Newegg.com

Ok I am most likley to get a router now. But this faces me with a problem I had a while ago: My computer would'nt identify the USB cable and I lost the installation disk. there could easily be somthing wrong with the cable (oh and I cannot find this cable, I will have to buy one today). So when I go to plug in the USB cable from my modem into the pc any reason why it wont identify it?

I've always wondered are there any LAN Hubs that could just plug into the back of the LAN port in your modem. It would kinda be like a router without the use of a USB...

What I'll do for now is sort out the problem with the USB. When thats sorted I'll be able to just simply connect to my xbox with the Ethernet cable. I dont know what ICS is so can you explain it to me please?

Never mind everybody, all is fixed, thanks for the help and advice. I downloaded drivers for the USB and BAM it worked! I didnt think those drivers would work since they didnt have my model on thier website. All I need to buy now is a 20M Ethernet cable!

Oh, and I will be buying a router in the future.

I don't think that you can use the ethernet and USB outputs at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom