Mother's Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're heading to my sister-in-law's tomorrow for a cook out. Her husband will be doing the grilling so I won't have to fool with any of the cooking. I'm looking forward to some good burgers... :D

Yeah, burgers are good but better (paste from the what I did today thread):

I did mother's day today since my family had to drive two hours to get here. It works about better on saturday because of work/school.

I got my mom a whole mess of Easter chocolate that I had gotten 90% off. Yeah, it was A LOT of chocolate.

We went to Schmidt's Sausage House buffet in German town and all got the Auto Bon Buffet as can be seen on Man vs. Food Episode 4: http://www.reeltvlinks....com/Man-v-...pisode/4#watch

I warmed it up with a salad, a little applesauce (haven't had in years) and some macaroni salad. I then proceeded to get every kind of sausage they had, the sausage stew over chicken and rice, german potato salad, and sauerkraut. Main course plate 2 was macaroni and cheese, homade mashed potatoes and gravy, red cabbage, fried chicken, and more bahama mamma and bratwurst sausage. Plate three was corn+beef plus cabbage mixture, bacon green bean mixture, ham and bean soup, a little more sausage stew over chicken and rice, and a small bowl of cherry gelatin with like whipped cream on it or something. That was everything on the buffet. Yeah, the selection wasn't that huge, but it was all you need. Finally, we ordered four half pound cream puffs and sampled each of: classic vanilla, double chocolate, peanut butter, and chocolate banana. My rankings: classic vanilla > chocolate banana = double chocolate > peanut butter. The peanut butter one had a heavier cream and I didn't think it was as good. They were still all very good though. One of my bros thought the peanut butter one was the best, so it is preference I guess. Schmidt's Sausage House is definitely a 5 out of 5 and worthy of being on Man vs. Food.

Then, I showed my parents around the new student union and they left.

[sad story]

Planned on going mountain biking on Saturday with intention of getting my mom something on the way home, just in time for Sunday (mother's day). One of the family's 3 cats (the youngest one in fact, 2 years old) began making some noises, which was a red flag since he's a VERY shy and quiet cat. Long story short, he was almost completely blocked with his urine passage. Took him to vet, spent just over 300 dollars and he got some pills, special food, a shot, and had his bladder drained. Through all of this, I forgot about getting my mom something for mother's day. Sunday rolls around, cat is acting great. I explained to her that I forgot cause I was trying to tend to the cat (which is technically her cat). She of course was like oh forget about it, etc. Fast forward a few hours and out of no where the cat is doing horrible again. Took him to vet without questioning it this time, except this time he was 100% blocked with a decent amount of urine in his bladder. Our only option was surgery, which STARTS at 1,000 dollars and is estimated to be upwards of 1,400 by the time it's all said and done. And even that isn't 100%, although it was his only shot at that point. I spent what little I had left to put the poor guy down.

Oh well.. I did what I could... It just sucks being completely helpless.

Her birthday is in 3 weeks. I'll have to think of something really good.

^ Dang man...that really sucks. I hate cats, but that's still dang sad. Sorry to hear it!

I got my wife a lounge chair and a flat iron. She also got a massage and an afternoon away from the kids.

We had both moms over for burgers and dogs yesterday. It was nice, but simple.

I got her a new phone and made her some doughnuts.
Also, me and the rest of the kids took her to a dam in the hills for a picnic. I'll post up pics later, awesome scenery :D

I ended up cooking Steaks and some other stuff on the grill today for the wife for Mothers day. She really enjoyed that. Along with the back rub that she got from me.

[sad story]

Planned on going mountain biking on Saturday with intention of getting my mom something on the way home, just in time for Sunday (mother's day). One of the family's 3 cats (the youngest one in fact, 2 years old) began making some noises, which was a red flag since he's a VERY shy and quiet cat. Long story short, he was almost completely blocked with his urine passage. Took him to vet, spent just over 300 dollars and he got some pills, special food, a shot, and had his bladder drained. Through all of this, I forgot about getting my mom something for mother's day. Sunday rolls around, cat is acting great. I explained to her that I forgot cause I was trying to tend to the cat (which is technically her cat). She of course was like oh forget about it, etc. Fast forward a few hours and out of no where the cat is doing horrible again. Took him to vet without questioning it this time, except this time he was 100% blocked with a decent amount of urine in his bladder. Our only option was surgery, which STARTS at 1,000 dollars and is estimated to be upwards of 1,400 by the time it's all said and done. And even that isn't 100%, although it was his only shot at that point. I spent what little I had left to put the poor guy down.

Oh well.. I did what I could... It just sucks being completely helpless.

Her birthday is in 3 weeks. I'll have to think of something really good.

Awww man, I feel for you.

I got her a new phone and made her some doughnuts.
Also, me and the rest of the kids took her to a dam in the hills for a picnic. I'll post up pics later, awesome scenery :D

You made or bought? I want to try a homemade doughnut. I don't see how its ever gonna happen though.

Jam Donuts with Lavender Sugar and Clotted Cream Custard - Recipe - MasterChef Australia

Easy as ****. Pretty much all you're doing is combining milk butter eggs and sugar, then mixing that with flour and yeast.

You don't even need fresh yeast, I used dry packet yeast stuff. Just use half the amount the recipe calls for if you do that though. I'd also recommend leaving the dough covered for more than 45 minutes, try an hour and 15 at least.

The hardest thing is the oil. You have to keep it at ~160-170C. If it's too hot the outside will cook and burn before the inside is properly cooked.
I'd recommend starting with a smaller batch, say divide everything by 4. 1 egg, 110ml milk, etc. That way if you stuff up it doesn't matter so much :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom