Mint 14 + Wireless?

maddangerous

In Runtime
hey all, i just got a laptop from my cousin, which i chose Linx Mint 14 w/ Cinnamon for me DE. its an older Gateway m-series:

AMD turion 64 x2 @ 1.9 ghz
4 gigs of G.Skill ram
ATi radeon x1200? (i think)
Marvell mc85 wireless (mini pci variant)

and i put an 80 gig hdd in there. so this bad boy is my linux only computer, for learning all that fun stuff. So right now, im lost on the wireless drivers. i understand i have to use NDISwrapper, with the drivers for windows. problem is i get an error:

Module could not be loaded. error was:

FATAL: Module ndiswrapper not found

Is the ndiswrapper module installed?

and i checked and mostly everything is installed. the only thing i see left in the repository is the source code stuff. if anyone out there has some advice it would be much appreciated.

thanks in advance for the help

hey iFargle, thanks for the response and sorry it took so long, i moved so i didnt have internet access for a while.

No indiswrapper-dkms was not installed, i just installed it. is there anything else that i should look into, other than that package?

Well. Is it working? If it is, then there's nothing else you should have to do :tongue: otherwise post back here and ill be glad to assist

Also, if it doesn't, post any error messages you get, if any

i got the same error:
FATAL: Module ndiswrapper not found

This is what is in the package manager when i search for NDISWrapper:

Last edited:
Let's try installing through the terminal (more verbose so I can get error messages, see what packages are being installed, etc)

Run this in the terminal:

Code:
sudo apt-get remove ndiswrapper-* ndisgtk

then reboot and run this:
Code:
sudo apt-get install ndiswrapper-* ndisgtk

Once it installs, type in
Code:
sudo ndisgtk
and find your driver (Last time I used ndiswrapper it was in the form of a .inf file with an older Netgear adapter)

Last edited:
here ya go:

mind you, this attempt is with the marvell drivers for this wifi chip, im in the process of finding the netgear one. again.

What's the model number of the adapter?
EDIT: nevermind, I should read. brb googling :tongue:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom