merging Networks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lise

Beta member
Hi, I don't know if I'm in the right place or if anyone can help me. I'm a student and I've been given an assignment on Merging Networks and I don't know where or how to start.
It's about two companies recently merged, one having a large Windows NT based network providing IT facilities throughout the company, and the other uses a Novell Netware Based network system.

Eventually both companies will be using WINDOWS NT Systems but in the meantime the first mentioned company needs to have full access to the Netware based IT system and vice versa.

Naturally this will involve merging the two networks so as far as the users are concerned they are connected to a single network.

The aim of this assignment is to produce a feasibility report outlining the case for the merging of the two networks and determining the viability of the merger, and to develop a comprehensive project plan for its sucessful implementation.
These two documents will form the basis of a presentation which I have to present to my tutor (representing the management)in order to convince him that the proposed network is feasible, cost effective and practical.

If anyone can help me I would really be glad for it. Thanks
:)

Did they specify that these companies are in different buildings or geographical locations? Do you know what os's they are running?

Here at my work, we have a windows NT domain and a netware 4.xx server....among others. We authenicate our users through both win/novell. Our Novell network is strictly IPX while windows is tcp/ip. Our users can communicate to both networks because we setup the MS client and Novell client.

What's their requirements?

Yep, we do the same thing at the University Libraries where I work at. We have a network combining netware and windows. We use IP for netware.

Same way of signing on as csamuels where you authenticate to your windows profile and your netware account. Then depending on which network you want to connect to your drives are either mapped through the netware logon (for the novell network), or the drives must be mapped through windows (or win logon can map them if you're running your profile from a domain).

Thanks for replying!

Well, that's the only info I've been given on the assignment, I mean, I don't know exactly but the two companies were rivals; the one with the Windows Nt based network took on this other company that utilises Novell Netware based network system. I guess that means they're not in the same building but maybe in the same geographical area.

This assignment was supposed to be designed to ensure the student's familiarisation with the various aspects of internetworking and to identify the work involved in merging two networks which utilise completely different operating systems.

What I know is that I'm supposed to analyse the basic scenario to assess potential requirements, discuss on the advantages and disadvantages of merging the networks, highlithing any security concerns associated with the use of a merged network and enumerate the various costs associated with performance, seccurity, support and maintenance of the merged network within the company.

Doesn't sound simple!

So do i need a netware server and a windows server so that the two networks can be seen as one whole network ?? Can i use a leased line to communicate between two networks ? And which tools do i need including Protocols.... Please Send me back as soon as possible.

Thanx
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom