Media Center Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

WarcryBB

Beta member
I'm very new to Linux. I have a 667mhz P3 system that I've repurposed into a media center in my room. I've got it set up to my liking for the time being. S-Video to my TV and audio through my 350W sound system. However, I'm still using Windows Media Player 9 for all of my needs. It works, but I'd like to have something lighter that's geared toward media center usage. I've tried both GeeXboX and Freevo, and neither of them worked. Geexbox will run and play video, but won't give me audio output. The Freevo I tried was combined with Morphix ( because you need an installed copy of Linux to use it ), but it didn't make it though install without crashing. I have no idea how to set these things up to get them to work, so could somebody give me a little help?

never tried either, but for my media center I use slackware, it works just fine

with that CPU your using recording shows will not be very good, you need a minimum of 1Ghz to do it very well, above 1.5ghz is even better,playing media is no problem though

as far as software for this kind of thing for linux, mplayer is probably the all around best at most of it, for TV tuners if you want something with a GUI try XawTV or MythTv, there are others but those work the best from what ive found

I definately plan on upgrading the entire system. I was just looking for OS. But I never planned on recording anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom