Maybe my last build...

My i5 was built with some high ends but according to ratings. Because of my budget I bought parts on the monthly basis while using my i3 system (which I built as a budget system).

I just replaced the memory module not long ago but I bought a set (2x4) for replacement.

You can see it in my profile.
I like it.

Actually you were right but as I said before it's mostly bragging rights. There will some folks that need the cutting edge but not everybody.

That's just like driving a custom painted 4x4 truck in a grocery store lot. It's to impress people.

Nothing is sharp in there.

here's the assembly:

Later I took it all apart to install this:

Thanks and really practical. Like the PSU draws fresh air from outside and spacious area where heat is no problem.

Attachments

• Screenshot (17).jpg
    Screenshot (17).jpg
    34 KB · Views: 8
I think you'd be better off investing in a good Graphics card. Using hardware acceleration is much faster than upgrading the processor. For reference:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_NVENC

I'm ummed and erred about this for a while, but ultimately NVENC seems to still have a few unresolved problems with its HEVC encoding - amongst others, it has a habit of creating rather large bitrate spikes in the output (so often causing performance issues on playback devices), it can't use B frames, and it can't use CTU sizes of anything greater than 32x32.

The end result is that while it's faster, it can't hit nearly as many optimisations in the HEVC standard that x265 can hit, so you end up with a noticeably worse performance to file size ratio.

This wouldn't be a problem using a veryfast style x265 preset as most use for live streaming, and I suspect this is what NVENC is targeted at. However, I'm using the opposite (veryslow preset for encoding Blu-rays), so a switch to NVENC for me would certainly result in worse files.

(I also want to move to AV1 in a year or so when encoder times improve, and it seems unlikely that existing cards will support that, but that's a different story!)

Back
Top Bottom