low power warning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The General

Banned
when i plug my thumb drive into my keyboard it says low power warning.

when i do that same thing rrunning ubuntu live cd, i get no warnings, and it works just fine!!

is there any way around this??

The Mac OS has built-in power management that prevents devices that aren't self-powered from being used from the keyboard. My iMac G3 did this all the time when I would plug in a camera or something. The Apple keyboard isn't designed to handle higher powered devices like external HD's, etc. that aren't self-powered. I usually kept my printer plugged into my keyboard because that way I would always have an open USB slot on the computer...

But I'm guessing that Linux doesn't include this kind of power management thus allowing you to successfully use your keyboard USB. :)

and theres no way around this? .... obviously it is capable of it. when i use ubuntu, i can plug my usb drive AND my card reader into it and it works just fine, a little slow, but worth the lessened effort... heh.

can i use tinkertool to change power settings like that?

It might be worth a try, but I don't think so :(
From my knowledge, Tinkertool is more for changing how the GUI works for the user rather than how the system treats the hardware.

theres some other tinker tool "system"

but it was a demo and not opensource so im not going to try it.

but yeah, regular tinker tool is for screwing up the gui and making it so when you drag images out of safari or firefox they dont show transparently, and there is a nasty looking grey box like in windows 95.

and theres no way to reverse its damage.

i had to reinstall mac os 10 to fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom