looking to replace a asus rampage III

Drogos

Daemon Poster
Here is the deal. I bought this rampage III with and first gen i7 used from a friend.
it worked great for about 8 months then it just died.
everyone i talked to told me it looks like the mobo was busted. none of the error lights would come on to tell me what component was bad i used all of the components except for the cpu on my current rig i was desperate at the time i had to buy new mobo and cpu i had no backup pc at all it sucked hard lol.
now i have the i7 still with the mobo in the closet and i would like to use that cpu i hate to see it go to waste. i was wondering what you guy recommended me as far as a mobo that can use that cpu but not expensive . is gonna be for my brother in law. even if i have to buy used it ok.
here is the mobo and cpu im talking about.

Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80601960 - Newegg.com
ASUS Rampage III Formula Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com

thanks in advance

what do u recommend if i want it just for backup like web surfing watching moves and such and not any real gaming. i don't think my bother in law is gonna want to spend that much.
that is a sexy mobo tho.

Well the 960 is overkill for that anyways and unfortunately I believe that is the cheapest board you can get. X58 is an enthusiast platform after all so all boards in that category will be overkill. You might be able to RMA it. I would shoot Asus an email.

yeah im gona see if i can talk to asus. reason i dint is because i know the previous owner did overclock on it so i don't know if that gonna be a problem well see lol.
well thanks for the info.

No, they can't tell or are too lazy to do tests. RMA simply checks for a working sample and if it doesn't see if there is physical damage done by carelessness.

Back
Top Bottom