Lol, needs more work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah........the fact of the matter is this guy spouts all this crap about having all this access to sound equipment and that he knows so much about setting up sound, mics, and recording and produces crap.

Naturally, I'll admit that that song I just posted was recorded in a high dollar professional studio, so that took a crappy guitar and made it sound fairly decent........but he definitely knows I've recorded some absolute crap and sent it to him, but guess what...I also never claimed to know anything about working bands, sound, recording etc.. and was using a cheap $5 mic bought at radio shack to record a half stack on a laptop.......

Point is...with all the crap he talked about him knowing what he's doing, that sure is a poor excuse for a recording. Beyond that...the thing I criticized the most was the fact that that first song sounds like a billion other bands out there.

Crysalis (IMO) did a pretty good job of fairly critiquing his second song without just completely saying it was crap.

Half of the critisism wouldn't be on this thread if P.P. wasn't banned.
Nope.....couldn't be more wrong. I'm mainly speaking for myself here, but I can guarantee you I would have said the exact same things. I've never held punches with this dude.

The high quality songs by professionals are recorded with millions of dollars worth of equipment,
Wrong again...I've heard much better recordings in home setups from friends of mine in cali who had crappy bands. Lets not forget that as I said, Mr. Mguire over here claimed all this recording knowledge and apparent access to all this nice equipment since his dad was supposed to be in some audio field.

I mean if someone who was respected screwed up and isn't in the position they used to be in, our job as fellow members is to beat them up about it, right?
I don't even know what you're going on about here. It's not like he was a "highly respected member" of this forum in the first place. I got to the point where sometimes I could talk to him and agree with him, and sometimes I'd argue because of pure BS he would spit out, which is better than his nvidiafanboy days, but respected......I'd say was very few and I'm assuming your putting yourself in that catagory.

Let's not forget about me, I don't claim to know much about recording, and I did a fairly good job. :eek:

If you guys want some more samples of our work, say so, I'll pack all of what I have and upload it. :)

General: Just downloaded your song...

Intro was EXCELLENT. I heard the delays and they fit perfectly. The only thing i would do to the flute would be to brighten it up. Using an EQ, add 2-3db of 5-7khz. Should make it a little brighter and more present in the mix.

When the drums came in, there is some stuff that caught my attention right away. The snare is mic'd well, but needs to be a little more present. If you feel that it's where you want it, then the kick drum needs to come down quite a bit. If you EQ'd the kick drum, dont emphasize bass frequencies; use whats called subtractive EQ... take High frequencies out instead of adding lows. You could also add 3db of 3-5khz make it more clear. By doing that, then you can bring it down in the mix and still have it present when the full band plays. Kick drum beats are something that is felt more than heard alot of times Also, try panning the drumset. Imagine you are standing in front of the kit and listening to a player play. Hi-hat to the right about 2:00 snare 1:00 first tomtom 1:00 and keep going from there. The more drastic the pan, the closer the kit will sound.

At 3:34 when the chaos begins, there is something not right. There is something that just sounds like "SHHHSHHHHHSHHHHSHHHSHHHH" and its not cymbals.

I must say, very nice job for being "amateur" or whatever you want to call yourself.

Thanks for the advice, you clearly know what you're talking about. :)

I'll try and find the originals, i have them backed up (these were made in 2003, it's been a while) and mess with subtractive EQ, sounds like a great idea. :)

Oh, and I dunno what that SHHHHH is at 3:34, sounds like a crappy cymbal to me. That is not on purpose. :)

I'll admit that I'm his girlfriend and now he's telling me what to say<<even this. He's saying he never mentioned anything about being able to record worth of crap but only the fact that he does access to pro P.A. gear, not recording gear. The recording gear he has access to is marginaly OK but its gotten better from the newly purchased drum mics they just bought. Which of course was to record the drums for the song you guys where supposed to make. (Which im guessing is what you where talking about Nubius?)

As to actualy recording it, they didn't record it at his house. If you remember correctly his family was in the process of moving and what they did have for a band room is not there anymore. They have band practices at the drummers house. He's saying what they have is this
http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/pr...b_portable_audio_interface?full_sku=102212776
and it's not the greatest but it works.

Anyways, I agree with what was said before. The critism is nice but I think your being a little hard on him. He knows P.A and live and how to run sound and lights. Recording is a whole new thing for him and he's not even the one doing it. He just plays the lead guitar in the band and it's only a side project for him. If i remember correctly the recording of that other band ABE was horrible too. It's not like he is intending to make it "big" or anything he is just messing around with this band for fun. So saying it sucks or that it sounds like everything else isn't really fair.

Well I guess since he is done with this site then I wil be too. Umm, it was great talking to you all? Good bye :] Oh and General, nice recording.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom