Linking laptop and desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimoMeijer

Beta member
Im going to an university next year and I won;t have the money to buy a superdeluxe uberlaptop for it. I DO have an awesome computer at home though. That problem raised the question if it was possible to link my home computer with a cheapy lappy via an internet connection, then let my home computer do all the stuff and have the ability to save and laod stuff from that computer on my crappy lappy. This would basically make the laptop an external screen that's really, really far away :p Or some sort of cloud computing ;)
I'm having good internet connections at both places, atleast 25MBps and going up to 100MBps Up and Download speeds, so that won't be a problem.
Is there any way to accomplish such a link?

Teamviewer looks great and seems to do what I want, although I dont know if it would work with a crappy lappy :p But it costs 500 euro, I can buy a laptop for that money, so that surpasses my goals :p

And what's a FTP server and how does it work?

TeamViewer is free for personal use. I doubt you could game through it, though. TV will run on anything as I have used it to connect to a Win2000 era laptop before.

Oh that's great thanks :D
It should be enough for my use then I think... No hardcore gaming during college then :p
But does TV then really runs the applications on my home computer and use those resources and only a small program that sends/receives data on the lappy?

I'll still be living at home with my parents :p
Laptop is for use during college/break hours and in the train ^^
But I'ld love to have everything done at one PC and as my study is Informatics I must have a quite good computer, but TeamViewer should work I think ^^ Going to try that ^^

I see, Team Viewer should work out then. Don't know much about the software besides basic functionality but everyone else seems to vouch for it.

TeamViewer let's you see and interact with your computer. You want to have any UAC turned off as you won't be at your computer to give it permission (TV will sometimes show the prompt, sometimes not).

It is just like sitting at your computer + lag due to it being a remote connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom