LAN Party

michaelson

Beta member
I'm the owner of a small graphic design business. Most of the people who work for me are in their 20s-30s and love to play PC games so we decided to have some LAN parties at the office.

My concerns, not knowing much about computers, is that we'll have problems either getting the games to run on the workstations or problems with the network handling all the gaming.

With the workstations; I know that they're pretty modern computer and we run Adobe CS 6 on them, so they've got graphics cards for those. I just don't know if those are the same as gaming graphics cards or is there no difference?

With the network; we have a 1000mbps LAN and our Internet connection is "DS3." I know I have played League of Legends on my own, and it's worked fine. What will happen with 20 people playing League of Legends and World of Warcraft, etc? We'll be closed at this point, so there shouldn't be any other stuff going on other than the e-mails coming into our e-mail server.

Best boss ever,

if all the pc's are networked correctly there should not be an issue, my only issue would be your internet connection,
playing games on all the pc's will stress it more than normal.

also games may need some funny ports to be opened, you should look into that also (close them after you are done)

I know League of Legends works because I have played it on my workstation and I hear World of Warcraft does too. I'm thinking that there might be a problem with 20 people playing?

Speedtest.net said it was 39mbps download and 42mbps upload, but that was during the work day last time I checked. I think ping was 10?

Depends really on what the specific hardware is. If they play LoL fine then there shouldn't be any problems with WoW. Only one way to find out though.

That net speed will be fine.

Right, all the computers are identical. I think they're 2.8Ghz Intel Dual Cores, NVIDIA graphics with 2GB of graphics memory, 4GB RAM, 1TB disk space, and Windows 7 Professional.

But, on an indivual level, yes the games run on the computers.

Wow! Just tried it and man we had a blast! 4 hours of between 10-17 people gaming at once with spotify playing and a Netflix movie going in the conference room! No lag issues with the gaming and no problems keeping the movie going! I am sort of glad because were paying a tech company a lot of money to keep this place going!

Wow! Just tried it and man we had a blast! 4 hours of between 10-17 people gaming at once with spotify playing and a Netflix movie going in the conference room! No lag issues with the gaming and no problems keeping the movie going! I am sort of glad because were paying a tech company a lot of money to keep this place going!

I just want you to know, I am extremely jealous of that work environment. Did you guys play the same game and on the same server (if server applies)?

Back
Top Bottom