lan card problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmjb

Solid State Member
Hey ppl,

I have been facing some trouble wit my lan card (NIC) for the past few weeks. I am using a Realtek 8139 (I guess) lan card. My ISP server is fine and my broadband cable is also okey. The lan card installed well and fine and everything is okey. But when I try to ping the ISP server I receive a "REQUEST TIMED OUT" reply. So my net is screwed up for the past few weeks. I have switched slots but to no use. The server I pinged doesn't have PING facility disabled. Even the ISP people pings that server to check whether the connection is okey. Now my question is that if the lan card is okey and so is my ISP (and their cable) then what is the problem ?? Please anybody come up wit any advice coz I need a solution asap.

Thank You.

The first question I ask when seeing this type of issue is... Do you have a firewall installed??

Second, is the cable connected in the proper port?

These questions might seem kinda dumb but they are the foundation to getting this resolved.

Let us know!

Thx a lot for replying Holocron. No I am not behind a firewall. And the cable is connected to the correct port coz my lan card has only one port. Moreover I am using Windows XP, so when the cable is disconnected I receive a message promptly.

Thank You.

Ok do you have xp sp1 installed? And did you check for the latest NIC drivers? Also stupid questions but these are often overlooked.

Thx for the reply ChaosBlizzard. Yes I do have XP SP1 installed. No I didn't check for the latest NIC drivers. I donot think this is a driver problem though. You see I use a broadband connection where I have to login. So "REQUEST TIMED OUT" replies after pinging the server automatically means that I cannot go online.

Thank You.

There is a software. After I write my username and password it connects to the ISP server and then I can use the internet (means I have logged in). There is a hub on the street. All the client computers on my street are connected to that hub.

Thank You.

mmjb, when you check your device manager, I assume there is no red X or a yellow exclamation point for the NIC. Also, did you try pinging the loopback address of the NIC? Try pinging 127.0.0.1 and see if you get a reply from your NIC.

So the NIC on your PC is connected directly to the cable modem, with no router in between them? Are you able to connect to your ISP when you use the software to login?

Thank You all for spending time in replying to my problem. The good news is that my problem has been solved. The ISP guys came over and reseted the MAC address (wateva that is). I will still answer some of your questions before concluding this thread. My NIC is not connected to any cable modem. It is connected to a HUB across the street. The HUB is connected to my ISP server. No there weren't any yellow or red marks beside my NIC in the device manager list during the problem. I received full reply from my NIC during the 127.0.0.1 pinging. No I couldn't connect to the ISP server during the problem. As I said before, no ping replies automatically means that I cannot connect to the ISP server and thus cannot go online.

Thank You All Again For Your Help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom