Knoppix

Status
Not open for further replies.

superdave1984

Repeat Offender
OK, forgive me for being illiterate when it comes to Linux. I am very inexperienced with it. Now the question. I have a bootable live Knoppix CD. I want to explore it and see what it can do. It wants a root password. I don't know the root password. How can I change it? It's a live CD so how does it store this anyway? Any instructions will have to be pretty specific.
Thanks in advance.

Just hit enter. I think you're talking about the first screen that comes up asking you to log in, right? If so, just hit enter.

All root passwords in *noppix are locked by defult however if you want root access all you have to do is go Knoppix Menu->Root Shell and typing "passwd", then enterting a root password You can also type "sudo su" or "sudo -s" in any console window, or use <ctr>-<alt>-F2 to get at the text console with already opened root shell.

hope this Helps,

Jake

opticalillusion no, it boots fine but in order to do some things I want to do, I need to be logged in as root or use the root password. User manager is what I am trying to use and it wants the root password. All I can figure is that this image was created from someone's personal setup and their root password is stored.

jakec I get the message "you may not view or modify password information for root"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom