kill wlan spots

Status
Not open for further replies.

schaft0620

Solid State Member
lets say my neighbor was a good hacker and cracked my wep keys and no matter what I did I couldnt keep him out ( this is not actually happing its just a example) is there something I can put out side of my house to kill any Wlan spots to actually make my lawn a dead spot?

thats a good one but there has got to be some device that starbucks usess or something like that so you cant sit out side the place and hack in

i think they just use encrption. theres no way to deflect the radio waves a wireless router transmits unless you coated the windows and walls with lead or matt black paint or something.

think about it. imagine the sea and a wave going towards the shore. its the same principle. theres no device which could do such a thing because it would be incredibly difficult because waves would still get past it.

if your worried about security, use mac addressing. that way your router only accepts connections from the devices you register with it. thats probably what they use in starbucks.

glad to be of help :) if its possible and your worried about having your internet hacked, i suggest ethernet. no need to wait for wireless software to boot on startup as your instantly connected, faster connection speed, nearly no interference, and no script kiddies :)

you can get a different router that has WP2 protection i believe. It's in a PC mag that i just read about . I'll post the full article tomorrow when i feel like typing it all out.

If you are that serious... see this...
http://www.techist.com/forums/f44/wi-fi-proof-paint-139184/

Your best bet would be to go into the router control panel and turn down the routers transmission power.

murdocsvan suggested "Mac addressing" earlier, but is should be "MAC Address filtering". Each NIC card has a unique MAC address worldwide. With this filter, you can on grant access to specific MAC addresses. The problem there-in is that MAC addresses can be spoofed.

Your best bet is a COMBINATION of measures....
  • WPA or WPA2 security, avoid WEP if possible
  • MAC address filtering
  • limit router Tx power as needed
  • use a subnet with a limited address range, (example, I use 10.10.5.25 with 255.255.255.248 at home. this gives me 6 useable addresses, all of which get used up. gaming rig, media rig, laptop, NAS, PS2 and router.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom