Just some basic questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuiSaurai

Beta member
I want to set up a wireless network in my house. I have a pc in my room, and the only other computer weÂ’ll have on the network is my sistersÂ’ already-wireless-enabled laptop with a built-in network card. Before I rush onto Ebay and pick up the cheapest router I see, I have a couple of questionsÂ…

Does it matter what router you buy? Will I need one specific to my connection/pc, or can you just get any?

At some point down the line someone else in my house plans to get a wireless laptop aswell, and I've seen it mentioned that some routers only allow one other computer to be run on the router. Is this the case with all routers? Will I need a wireless hub instead?

Thanks for your help.

You can connect as many computer to a wireless router as you want, but of course with many computer the speed slows down. You'll want to buy a wireless router with LAN ports if you like to connect with wires. What's the model of your sister laptop, I can maybe suggest a router for you.

I'm not sure about her model, but just as long as I have reassurance that most routers will work fine then that's enough for me.

I don't think that LAN port thing is what I'm after. I want to connect my pc to the router with a wire, to prevent me with having to get a dongle or something, but not the other computers. Is this right what I'm saying or am I missing your point?

LAN port is what you need in order to connect your computer with wires. The WAN port on the router connects to your ISP modem. The wireless features in the router allows computer with wireless card to connect to it wirelessly.

Make sure when you buy a wireless router, that it's compatible with your wireless card. If your card is 802.11b or 802.11g, you want to get a router that is 802.11g or .11b. Basicly you want to match the letter for compatibility. If you want I can suggest a router, only if I kow the brand and model of your laptop. Most card are .11b/g, so if you get a router that is .11g you should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom