Just got Windows 7, 32bit or 64 bit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LFCJohnSmith

In Runtime
I have just got my copy of windows7 ultimate, in the box there is a 32bit version and a 64 bit version, which version should I install? I am currently have 32bit Vista with a dual core 2.2Ghz cpu and 2 GB of RAM. What should I do and what is the difference apart from one being 32 bit and the other being 64bit?

I would go 64bit in case you want to up your ram to 4gb or more.

I have looked at the minimum specs for the 64bit version, and it requires at least 2 gb or RAM, and as my pc only has 2GB of RAM is it going to kill my PC, and slow it down and cause it to crash repeatedly?

I also did ogirinally try to install the 64 bit version but I thought it wasn't installing properly, so I then tried with the 32 bit version and it still wouldn't install properly. After a few tried and failed attempts out of frustration on the screen that appeared to be a black crash scvreen, i just went mad pressing all the butttons on my keyboard to see if anything would happen. It then went to another screen with a picture of the windows sysmbol, and then the problem had become apparent. I have a 32 inch sony widescreen TV attached to my PC as well as a monitor so when the OS was installing it made the decision that the TV was the main display so when I saw a black screen, it wasn't crashed I just couldnt see all the screen on my PC monitor.

I must say though I am very happy with it so far, but none of the drivers that are on disk have worked so far, altough the hardware components do seem to be working, although I am worried that they aren't working properly, does anyone know what I should do to rectify this?

I have looked at the minimum specs for the 64bit version, and it requires at least 2 gb or RAM, and as my pc only has 2GB of RAM is it going to kill my PC, and slow it down and cause it to crash repeatedly?

I am sorry but where did you ever see this? For Win7, just as it was for Vista, the ONLY difference between the 32 Bit Version and the 64 Bit version is that the one version was 64 Bit. Other than that all teh rest was exactly the same.

http://www.techist.com/forums/f9/windows-7-faq-questions-172024/

Question: What are the System Requirements? How do i know if i can run Windows 7?
Answer: The system Requirements are as follows:

1GHz or Better Processor
1GB of RAM
16GB of free space on your hard drive
Support for DirectX 9 with 128MB of Video Memory (For Aero Support)
DVD Optical Device

Absolutely no where is there any distinction between 32 bit and 64 Bit. The requirements are exactly the same. The only reason why someone would even think to make a comment like that is because they think that you dont gain anything from running 64 Bit on less than 2GB of RAM which of course is wrong also.

As for the hardware, did you check the device manager? That will flat out tell you what isnt working or have proper drivers. The ONLY thing Windows has to do is make the item work. Which you say the hardware does, so they do have working drivers. For added functions you need the drivers for the manufacturer that are fully compatible with Win7 64 Bit which is NOT Microsoft's responsibility. So as far as Windows is concerned, they did everything they had to. Got your OS installed and the hardware working. Added functions is not part of the task.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom