Is this the year A+ will change?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yaaheydereh

Beta member
I'm looking into chasing the A+. From what I can see at the A+ site the last update was in 2006 and it says they update every 3 years. My question is should I wait for the change?

Thank you in advance.

I wouldn't wait. They usually leave a significant grace period, and CompTia certs don't expire.
Yes CompTIA certs DO EXPIRE. I have one and it says right on the certification it exires this winter. Unlike Microsoft exams A+, Net+ and the like expire after a certain amount of time. I mean think about it, do you think they would still support an A+ exam you took back in 2000 when the hardware was drastically different?

I would wait to take the 700 level exam which will come out this fall. Not sure where you saw on CompTIA's website, but here is the link to the A+ exam on their site and they say right up front there is a new exam. CompTIA A+

I believe the exam just came out this August, and you can expect publications sometime in October. IMO you should wait until then and take that exam, NOT the 600 level ones.

when did you get yours? Check the site. They don't expire. I'm A+, Network+ and Security+ certified.

However, your employer can require you to provide proof of certification, and the date you passed is right there.

from Comptia's site: "Should I take a new version of an exam if I am already certified?
This is your choice. Some employers require that their technicians be certified under the most recent exam version."

Edit: I just checked and can find nothing indicating that CompTia certs expire or ever have. The only thing I can think of that might be on yours is that you only took the first test in a 2 test cert and it was telling you when you would have to take the second test by.

Edit again: ok. here's something that sounds like what you're experiencing. InformIT: CompTIA Recertification Policies

call them after the date says it expires and find out what the deal really is. I know my certs are "lifetime certifications" and comptia still maintains that their certs are lifetime.

I'll take a look, I took the 600 level exams early 2008. I took both exams and got my certification about two weeks later. It says in the bottom right that it expires December 2009. Has my name on it, signed, everything - it was from CompTIA, but it says it expires this year.

I JUST read it again and it says 'this certification is CURRENT through December 2009.' So you're right, i guess they never expire they just become outdated ever three or so years when they come out with new ones.

Realistically employers will not ask about WHICH A+ certification you took, they will just ask if you are A+ certified or not. Either way I would suggest taking the newest exams since it is the most recent.

That's kind of what I figured, sorta kinda like the CCNA. It keeps money flowing to their coffers and keeps you abreast on the latest developments in a way. I guess I'll wait it out until the new ones come about, get the books with the new material when they are published and try my best. My AAS has not opened doors for me, even with the core of the curriculum in Cisco CCNA 1 - 4, A+ Hardware and Software, Novell, Unix/Linux and MS Server 2000/2003. It's either Bachelors, certs, and above all else experience. Oh well, you gotta pay to play as they say. Thank you for your input.

honestly, if you're looking at a support role (troubleshooting and config) a degree isn't going to help as often as a cert and experience. You don't need much experience for the typical call center, which is a good way to get your foot in the door so to speak. A+ takes you only a tiny bit further, but it's an important step. Then it's time to decide what direction you want to go.

Personally, I'm fond of the CompTia certs, as they don't technically expire and don't specifically state what they are for (MCP you are likely to be asked specifically what for) so once you're A+, Network+, etc etc, you are technically that for life. Once you've gotten all of those that you want out of the way, then you can look at some beefier certs. If you're interested in networking, Cisco certs. (at this point, going to school for a BS would be beneficial)

The A+ exams updated this month of August. I was going to schedule to take the exam when I noticed that it changed so I have to find more things to study.

I'm looking into chasing the A+. From what I can see at the A+ site the last update was in 2006 and it says they update every 3 years. My question is should I wait for the change?

Thank you in advance.

I think the new A+ exam is a little ridiculous. I passed my A+ in 2007 when the test was seriously all about hardware and software usage and repair. Now, the test seems to be geared more about 'if you see something on the company server that should not be there and you suspect your boss is doing something illegal, what would you do?'

if i have to update my A+, I wouldn't be too happy because those questions are a waste of time. Definitely seek the Net+, Security+ and so on. And the Microsoft Exams are tough. If you do go for the Microsoft Exam, the answer they are looking for is not the correct answer int he real world, but the correct answer to Microsoft. Remember that

MS also uses simulation questions. So it is a mixture of multiple choice and a question being asked and you are given a desktop simulation and you have to accomplish a goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom