Is it Time to Reconsider Firefox? YES!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Firrfox itself as well as extensions are at risk. Firefox itself is not perfect. But then again neither is IE, Safari, Chrome or Opera. If they were perfect then we wouldnt be on version 8 of IE, version 3.6 of Firefox, version 4 of Chrome, version 10 of Opera and version 3 of Safari.

So yes the browser itself can be at risk. At long as you run the latest version you should be alright. But remember nothing is 100% secure 100% of the time.

would be nice if the study provided some detail, such as what % of the exploits were triggered through add ons, whether those were updated versions of the add ons, what version of FF was tested, which add ons they were, or whether this is a default installation or what the settings in the browser were, on what OS they were running. How secure are IE8 add ons? That article isn't enough to make me switch to IE full time. I like how you can customize firefox to take up hardly any screen space, I like WOT add on which I know IE also has but also like ad block, no script, and better privacy. Firefox by default is set update automatically and update automatically.

I've seen reports state that Mozilla patches vulnerabilities faster than IE:
Firefox: most vulnerabilities, but quickly patched - The H Security: News and Features

A default install of IE8 would be more secure than a default FF install, but keeping FF up to date with security add ons along with the other security measures I have on my setup, I'm personally not willing to give up the customization FF offers for regular web browsing. Most users are probably better off with IE.

I use IE8 for my online bill paying though. The protected mode of IE8 in Win7 is a nice feature:
What does Internet Explorer protected mode do?

Also, no script functionality in IE7 or IE8
YouTube - IE7 tuning

Well i can say 1 thing in regards to your post macdawg. Yes it is true that Firefox patches faster, in some instances. As Firefox releases patches when deemed necessary while Microsoft releases patches on Patch Tuesday. So in that effect yes, Firefox would be patched faster as they could release a new build patched in a couple of days while it may take almost a month for IE to get patched.

But that also depends on the flaw found. As if it is serious enough Microsoft will issue a out of cycle patch to fix the flaw ASAP even if it isnt their Patch Tuesday. Which is why i say in some instances as i have seen IE patches released out of cycle to patch very critical flaws found.

While many of the flaws found in IE8 are only deemed Important, but not critical to be issued a out of cycle patch is the main reason for this.

As for the query about the security of add ons for any browser, that will be about the same. As any addon can be vunerable no matter what browser it is for. It all comes down to how fast the maker of the addon releases a update to fix the flaw. I have seen extensions that are deemed vunerable not updated for some time while others are patched almost instantly. It just comes down to the developers and how fast they work.

good point about the IE updates, I don't want my post to appear like I am complaining about IE updates. First website I normally check in the morning is a tech page that updates constantly about new technologies/or critical updates whether its windows, FF, adobe, etc. Years past IE was constanly flagged with new critical updates, past couple of years this seems improved and they do release critical updates pretty quick. I just am hesitant to be too critical of FF because I'm not sure how many of the security issues are due to add ons, and what add ons. I only install 3 of the more popular FF add ons and am a little scared to install some of the lesser known FF add ons because I'm not sure how quickly they are updated or pose some sort of security risk. I've heard of people with 10, 15, even 20 add ons, other than speed I'd have security concerns on those types of setups also.

I use the spell checker add on, the no script like functionality in both, and about the only thing missing from IE for me to switch full time is the streamline, IE takes up more screen space, be nice if you could streamline it like this:

Conserve Space in Firefox by Combining Toolbars :: the How-To Geek

Slim down Firefox GUI | userstyles.org

I've fiddled with it and gotten IE to take up less screen space, but can't tweak it down the point I can tweak FF.

there's a balance beam with functionality and security.

the more functional the system, the less secure the system will be and vice versa.

The security of you machine doesn't rest on just the browser either.

The three basic pillars of Security: Antivirus, Up-to-date Software, Firewall.

If you have a good config of these, most risks will be mitigated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom