IP issues. (noob)

Status
Not open for further replies.

senoBDEC

Beta member
Internet Connection recognition issues. (noob)

I am basically familiar with computers, but am a complete new noob when it comes to networking. Recently, I subscribed to SBC Yahoo! DSL and promptly set up a simple two-way split connection using a LinkSYS Ethernet Cable router.

I use Windows XP

The issue is that my computer refuses to recognize for certain internet-enabled programs is connected to the Internet. MSN Explorer, my Norton AV and IS registration, etc.

In Network Connections:

DSL Connection and SBC Dial-up are disconnected. Local area connection and my adapter connection are enabled (although my adapter says it is not TCP/IP enabled... not sure if that's good since the LAC is TCP / IP enabled).

The issue is NOT the connection itself.

Edit 1: All of a sudden I decided to use Mozilla. I can now access all my email accounts, however this does not solve the issue regarding my MSN Explorer. And of course the various web-capable programs are now defunct (such as the app I use to upload the programs I write to the college database to be evaluated.)

the IP you see in the ipconfig is the IP of your NICard. the ip you see in the website, is the ip of your modem.

Not successful.

Okay, so far my connection still refuses to work properly. I can still browse random sites and whatnot but most secure connections, Active X, etc. do not work. I have enabled all the SSL and other security certificates, so that shouldn't be the problem. I suspected this was due to an error in my Norton Anti Virus 2003 and Norton Internet Security 2003. However, when I uninstalled them there was issues (like Norton Anti Virus not even showing up in the Add/Remove Programs list). I figured this connection issue was due to some firewall issues and have now completely uninstalled them. Still no luck however.

I have tried checking ipconfig in cmd.exe, and have pinged myself and the other computer on the router and 3rd party websites. The DHCP server and the Default Gateway are the same (the address of the router: 192.186.1.1) and autoconfiguration of the NIC is currently enabled.

Please help!

Edit 1: Never mind, apparently the Net Adapter isn't supposed to be TCP / IP enabled.

Sigh.

I realize this is a thing you guys do in your spare time and its free and you guys have no obligation... but... please... help?

Please? Also, my Norton AV and IS won't install at all, at the reboot they just say Error 1004, 1 followed by error 1005, 1, basically an illegal modification of the program. I tried scans online, but the Active X triggers fail every time.

Well, here are a few things to consider.

First of all, if your active-x setting aren't working properly after verifying that the settings are correct.. it could be a problem with your browse. Try reinstalling your browser. If you are using IE, go to microsoft.com and do a search for the IE uninstaller, when you find it, download it and run it. Reinstall IE, install all of the current updates and you should be in business.

If you are using netscape (You never know)
Just reinstall the application.

You might have to use your mozilla browser to get the needed utiliites.

Second, pertains to your NAV (Norton AntiVirus) Issue. Norton has been known to cause havoc on your PC when uninstalled. Sometimes critical files aren't deleted properly. Norton has a removal file that cleans up the install process and the system registry. After you run it you should be able to reinstall your norton software.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom