Internet service provider blocks my router but not my computer... wtf?

Status
Not open for further replies.

abn33w

Beta member
I'd like to think I'm a little above average when it comes to getting around my computer and setting up networks. However, this one leaves me stumped.

I am currently using internet similar to the kind you'd get at a hotel. You plug in the ethernet cable, open the browser and it takes you to a login page where you can purchase your internet speed and usage length. I'm in Iraq where you can go through these providers at each camp to purchase internet and login via their page... much like a hotel or airport. I haven't had any problems with these providers until I got to this particular location.

In the past all I've done is plug the ethernet into my router and the service remembers my router's mac address. Occasionally I've had to clone my laptop mac address as the wan port of the router.

This particular provider is being weird. The wan side of my router gets assigned an ip address along with all the particular dns servers the company uses. I can't get to any pages... not even the login page.

So I unplug the ethernet and plug it into my laptop and I immediately get to the log on page. So I'm thinking, hey, maybe they remember my mac. So I cloned my laptop mac to the router's wan and still no internet access. I tried logging in with the laptop then switching the cable over. No luck.

So I admitted defeat. Then I though maybe I could set up internet connection sharing. Ethernet has internet access, shared. Then my wifi is an ad-hoc connection to my netbook. I tried getting to the internet on the netbook.... and success... I get to the login page. So I sign in and browse the internet. When I go back to the laptop, it takes me straight to the login page, so I sign in, which in turn signs the netbook out. FML.

May the router and ICS are unrelated, but that's where I'm at.

I guess my question is... Is there a way the "isp" can detect if a device is a router or not, and if so, then block it? If so, is there a way around it?

I'm messed with many settings in the router to include setting it up to router mode or gateway mode. Ive also tried using dd-wrt's firmware to have more control of the router but still no success. I have a wrt54g... not that it matters. This router has worked in different locations with logons in the past, but this location seems to be giving me a hard time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm having a similar problem with my charter connection. When my laptop is plugged directly into the modem I have net access, but it refuses the connection on my wrt54g linksys wireless router when the modem is connected to the internet port on my router. I've even tried using some cat5 to connect physically to the router and it still doesn't give net access. I can use the wireless connection as a LAN to transfer data between my desktop and laptop.

Important Notes:
When Charter set me up for internet access yesterday, it was functioning with my wireless network. The connection of my router was OK then, but not allowed starting at some point last night or today.

I have tried cloning my cable router's mac address with the router today - doesn't change anything.

I have tried cloning my laptop's mac address with the router today - doesn't change anything.

Sorry for no solutions OP, but at least you know you're not alone? It looks like we're trying to use the same router - possibly some problem specific to this router?

Connecting straight through modem to router with ethernet cable. Before you suggested resetting my cable modem I was just unplugging and plugging back in my router. I unplugged them both, took a shower, came back and plugged in the router first, then modem with no luck.

Why would an ISP block a router? As mentioned before, my modem-router setup was working well when I was initially set-up with access. I wasn't downloading anything overnight - legal or otherwise. If it were the case that the ISP were looking to shut off internet access they would stop the cable connection rather than blocking the router and still allowing access without it, right?

I just now tried upgrading the firmware on the router. After that I was able to open my homepage of yahoo.com having a wired connection through the router to the cable modem... but then I couldn't open anything else up, or get to yahoo.com again in that way. At this point I may just have to call up charter and ask them what the heck?

Has anyone ever thought of calling your internet provider?

We are are not Charter, Comcast or Verizon. If your internet does not work like it should, it is always recommended to contact the ones who provide you internet.

Has anyone ever thought of calling your internet provider?

We are are not Charter, Comcast or Verizon. If your internet does not work like it should, it is always recommended to contact the ones who provide you internet.

That's true, however, based on previous experience with setting up routers and contacting my ISP - they will refuse to help you so long as you have internet access through the cable modem. They simply tell you to contact the company that made the router.

In progress news: I hooked up my BEFSX41 (wired only) router, and am currently connected through it. Since the BEFSX41 and WRT54G (wireless) router are both made by Linksys I attempted to copy the configuration settings from the wired to the wireless router with no success... I'll try resetting now that the configurations are as close to copied as possible. If I do eventually get it working I'll post the necessary parts of the configuration.

Well, after messing around with the configurations a ton I decided to just search around on the net to see what other people have done about this problem. Unfortunately, it is an issue with Linksys routers specifically. I found that Charter does dynamic IP renewal every day with IP addresses that are out of the range of what a Linksys router will accept. I'm currently connected to the internet through my wireless router, but it may be disabled overnight - have to wait and see. Here is, at least, a temporary solution, which may fail after a day and have have the unplugging portion redone.

reset Linksys using a pen to click the little button on back
unplug Linksys power
unplug modem power
unplug modem coax
wait 30 seconds
plug modem power and coax back in
wait until modem power light is steady
plug in Linksys power
wait for Linksys power light to steady
go to admin page: http://192.168.1.1
make sure DHCP is enabled, enter hostname
go to MAC Address clone tab, generate and save

unplug Linksys power
unplug modem power
unplug modem coax
turn off computers
wait 1 min

plug in modem coax and power
wait for modem power light to steady
plug in Linksys power
wait for Linksys power light to steady
turn on computers
go to Linksys admin page, configure security (e.g., WEP or WPA)

access through PC(s)
check that PCs are now connected wirelessly

go to admin page and configure anything else (port fowarding, etc.)

Since this is the OP's first post they may have already found this solution, but it was a good learning experience for me.

Mine was hardware version 5. I upgraded the firmware to version 1.02.8 here.

After enabling DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol), cloning my computer's MAC address and power cycling as described above, I haven't had an issue using the router to access the internet. It hasn't been quite 24 hours, but it seems stable. If I run into the same problem I will consider open source firmware as you suggested, Apokalipse.

I honestly didn't even know there were open source firmware for networking hardware before you mentioned it, so +1 reputation to you for that. That gives more options to deal with weird issues like this. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom