Internet connection quits every 5 - 10 min

Status
Not open for further replies.

JB Rekit

In Runtime
I have cable internet, have done all the adware, spyware, antivirus and registry maintenance.
Every time I reboot the computer the internet works fine for about 5 - 10 minutes (cable light stays on the modem) and after that it won't work until I restart my computer, but it will work every time I restart. Nothing else is freezing up or working improperly... any ideas on what to do or try???

And this happens with both mozilla and IE and anything else that would require a connection.

Thanks
John

Is the light staying on on your modem? Or is it going out? Did it work at a time before? Have you tried going to an earlier restore point to see if it would work?

Scans and maintainence are great, but one or more of them may have changed a setting or few, or wiped out something it shouldn't have.

Tell anything else that might be pertinent. Any other changes? Added anything? Removed anything? Any updates?

The light is staying on.

Haven't erased anything other that the spybot/adware cleanup with the settings set as per suggested on one of the maintenance threads.

Windows automatic updates are the only thing that updates w.o my consent and I don't even know if there has been a new one in the past 2 weeks.

Haven't put anything new on in the last 3 plus months.

It had worked fine for over a year and has just started doing this the past week and a half.

I'll try a restore and see what happens.

It's possible that it could be your cable modem. I had a similar situation where my internet would work for a half hour and go down for a minute or two and it would do it all day long. The cable modem was at least 4-5 years old so I bought a new one and haven't had a problem since. I know you stated your cable modem is not as old as mine was but you just never know. Try contacting your local Internet Service Provider, maybe they can help.

Just for sanity's sake, whenever I'm trying to repair a situation like this I find it's best to eliminate the possibility it's something on the software side first.

I recommend getting a Linux liveCD (a download manager should help you get a CD since your connection is flaking out). Slap it in your drive and try downloading some massive file and see if it cuts out. If it doesn't cut out, reinstall that driver, or you may even need to reinstall windows if the problem is deeper (it does happen occasionally).

If it follows the same pattern under this scenario, ditch your router and plug yourself directly into the cable modem. Have a good firewall, you'd be surprised what NAT router stops from hitting your PC. Repeat the process and find a huge file to download.

If it cuts out after 5-10 minutes, you've more than likely got a problem in the cable modem. Examine all the settings, if you see anything out of place correct it. If you can't find anything wrong with it here, flash the memory if the modem has the option to do so.

If the problem still persists, give your cable company a call, you'll need to get a new box. If you haven't had it very long, you'll probably get a replacement for free.

if it does turn out to be the modem then do try a bios update / firmware flash. Saved me buying a new router/modem :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom