Internet Bandwidth poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tunez

Beta member
Hi, new to these forums... ive had a problem recently with my internet, its 1mb connection.. usually d/ls at about 120kb/s and worked fine untill about a week ago. Then it started getting slower and slower, every now and again it would get faster, rarely though and it does not even go up to full speed. I don't know if other people in the area are experiencing the same problem. I have a router connected to three other PCs and they experience the same problems. Any ideas would be appreciated thanks!

your directly connected to the modem correct? what kind of service are you using? also...have you changed the location of the modem....? also....what kind of router is it?

If you are using a cablemodem, it's a shared broadband connection and can fluctuate depending on how many people in the neighborhood are using it. I have a cablemodem too and it usually have very fast connections. Over the summer I went through a period of about a week and a half of crawling connection speeds. I called the cable company (which I used to work for for 6 years in their IT dept) and they said there is nothing wrong.

I tried everything from swapping my router to running new coax lines and I still had the same problem. I even connected my cablemodem directly to the incoming cable line outside my house to eliminate the possibility of it being my internal wiring in my house. I still had the same problem.

Then 1 day it magically went away and everything went back to normal. Don't belive the cable company when they say nothing is wrong when you call them. Most of the times the CSR's don't know what they are talking about.

Hang in there, it may be your cable company and nothring wrong with your equipment.

As already asked, what kind of service are you using?

You already mentioned that there is a router connecting 3 different hosts. What kind of traffic is running on each host when you see the trouble? Is there any bit torent traffic, or P2P file sharing? If yes, disable it, and see if you have the same trouble... If you aren't aware of any traffic from the other hosts, try disconnecting them from the router and see if the trouble remains on the one still connected...

Its a BT connection... not sure wot kind of router...normally this computer is using the internet, no bit torrent or p2p sharing programs are running... hopefully it will simply just fix itself... thx for the replys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom