Internet Access/P2P network/VNC problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

VarLordahl

Baseband Member
Hey guys,

I'm pretty new to dealing with anything that involves networks, internet access, or remote desktop usage.

To force myself to start to learn, I set up a simple P2P network between the 3 computers in my apartment. All use XP home, and all are connected through a D-Link wireless router. The router in turn is protected by a WEP key.

Now, I set up a VNC server using the free VNC software on my new desktop. I then setup the VNC client on my laptop. I made holes in my desktop PC (VNC server)'s firewall for ports 5800 and 5900 (java and client access, respectively).

When I'm sitting in my apartmnet, I can use VNC on my laptop without problem.

However, when I'm in class or at work, I can't get both the VNC client or Java app to connect with my computer. I know I have the IP address correct b/c it works when at home.

What's the deal? Is there a firewall somewhere along the way that I can't seem to break through?

THanks ahead of time!

You need to set up port forwarding. Log into your router and forward the required ports (5800 and 5900) to the IP address of the computer running the VNC server.

Also check you are using the correct IP address. This address will be different to the one you use on your local network. go to www.whatismyip.com from within your network, this is the IP address you have to use from outside your network, although be warned unless you have a static IP address this may change from time to time.

If you want to know why the need for port forwarding and different IP addresses from within and outside your network look into 'network address translation' (NAT). It is entirely possible you are not using it in which case the process will be slightly different, but if you were not using NAT then you'd know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom