Intel & AMD's six core cpu plans (w/ salt)

Status
Not open for further replies.

james.wired

Equator Gringo
AMD, Intel Plotting Six-Core CPU Releases

,8-J-233587-3.jpg

With both AMD and Intel already floating quad-core CPUs on the market, it's only natural for them to dial things up a bit bigger by adding 50 percent more cores.

According to a report from Digitimes, who sources its friends at Taiwanese motherboard companies, Intel will be rolling out its six-core desktop "Gulftown" processors at the end of March. The six-core Nehalem-based chip will supposedly be named the Core i7-980X and will be priced in the four-digit range.

In response, AMD will launch the six-core "Thuban" 45nm chips as Phenom II X6 1075T, 1055T and 1035T models sometime in May.

As always, take these reports with a grain of salt – but it's safe to say that we'll be seeing six-core CPUs sometime before the summer.

It's good to hear news about both, I hadn't heard anything about Thuban in a long time. Gulftown is going to be insanity :devil:

Isnt there an article which shows that increasing cores is only useful for so long, performance isnt linear. Like i think 8 cores is the max before performance becomes negligible.

I haven't seen that, but it sort of makes sense. Kind of like at some point overkill GPU just hurts you.

Isnt there an article which shows that increasing cores is only useful for so long, performance isnt linear. Like i think 8 cores is the max before performance becomes negligible.

as of now i wouldnt be surprised. but you never know... 6 years from now the recommended system requirements for crysis 5 might be an octa core :p

LOL

I think I spent about a quarter/third of my salary last year on computer upgrades lol...that's probably a little sad..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom