AMD or Intel?

Craig Prince

In Runtime
Hi everyone, if you couldn't tell by the title of this thread, I'm having a bit of trouble choosing between AMD or Intel for my CPU.

I would like to just get this out of the way, please if you are a fanboy of either choice, just don't respond. Now that's out of the way, let's get started.

The AMD CPU I would go with is the FX 8350. Here's some of the cons I know about it.

1. Consumes a higher amount of wattage then the Intel Choice.
  2. Worse single-core performance.
  3. Uses a outdated socket, or soon to be.
Here's some pros to not seem unfair.

1. Very high overclock ability.
  2. 8 cores if games ever can take advantage of that many.
  3. Since the price drop, it's cheaper then the Intel Choice.
The Intel CPU I would be using is the Core I5 4690K. Of course here are some cons.

1. More expensive as I said before.
  2. Makes me spend more on the GPU. I will not use an AMD GPU with an Intel CPU, just annoys me.
  3. Z97 Motherboards also costs more then 990FX.
Here's some pros as well.

1. It's faster then the AMD Choice.
  2. Lower power consumption.
  3. Z97 has Broadwell coming out next year, so much better upgrade paths.
I would like to know your overall opinion. They both are good CPUS, just tell me which one would be better for a gaming PC. I hope you all have a great time, and I will see you later. I'll be at work before you respond, so BYE! :)

My god man you have re started the war ... WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!!!!!!

No but seriously if you want to game the 8350 is fine but I suggest the 8320 and just overclock the difference (they are the same chip)

But if you want to have a bit more power in your cpu go for the i5 but I think you will get better fps if you buy amd and invest the rest in a good cooler (stock sucks) and invest in a better gpu. But by all means it is your choice

Sent from my iPad using Computer Forums

Intel is better than AMD chip for chip. The 4690K will demolish that FX 8350 in all but the most highly threaded applications. Put another way my 6 year old i7 920 is still good competition for AMD's latest and greatest. But if you are just gaming then intel's advantaged becomes less clear.

Will this computer be used for anything besides gaming? And if so, what percentage of the usage isn't gaming?

I've yet to see too many programs utilize more than 2 cores outside of gaming (heck, I'd bet most non-gaming machines only use one core for 99% of their functions). Using your own arguments that AMD has the worse single-core performance I would think if not for gaming then Intel would be the way to go.

Now it's been a long time since I touched an AMD so I'm not sure if this is still true but I recall their stock fans being just god awful back in '06-'08 meaning any over-clocking needing an after-market fan which is more money out of your pocket. With Intel you can get away with some modest over-clocking on the stock fan for a while.

I'm back from work! I did start a war didn't I? Just to get the cooler question solved, I will be using the Corsair H105. For the other questions, I might livestream in the future. That will also involve some video editing.

Any other questions? I will be glad to answer. Thanks so far though! :)

Passmark scores

AMD 8350 @ 9,022
Intel 4690 @ 7,748
Intel 920 @ 5,008 Not even close To latest AMD chip
AMD 9590 @ 10,284

the 9590 is $259 on Amazon
the 4690k is $235 on Amazon

I know which one I would buy

Here are some benchmarks from hardwarecanucks starring the 9590.
It doesn't show the I5-4690K but it has the 4670K (as well as plenty others.)
just add 4% to the score and you should ruffly have the 4790K. It's not much better than the 4770k.
The I7 used is also not the new "devils canyon". Add 8% to the scores and you will ruffly have the 4790K

You can see the performance difference between Devils canyon and it's older brothers here:Intel Core i5-4690K im Test

FX-9590-56.jpg

FX-9590-52.jpg

FX-9590-53.jpg

As you can see the 9590 is hands down better than the 4690K.. but here is the deal breaker for me:

FX-9590-73.jpg

If raw CPU performance is so important i'll spend more money and go with the 4790K. It beats the 9590 in most benchmarks and it does it while using half the electricity.

Last edited:
So it seems that the 8350 is better then the 4690K. Of course besides power consumption. That was somewhat unexpected. I guess everyone that said the I5 was a lot better was just fanboying. :lol:

I would spend more and get an I7, however I don't think I will because early next year is going to be Broadwell. That's when I will upgrade to an I7.

So I guess this means that I'll be going AMD. Any complaints?

no complains. enjoy it. It's a good CPU... with the exception of it's power draw issue.
Just note that you will also have to change motherboard next year if you want to switch to broadwell.

however, If i where you i'll just use what i have until broadwell.

Back
Top Bottom