Intel 8 Core Concept

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only thing needing 8 cores on a single die is currently some sort of database server. Only reason being is because it is far cheaper to buy just one 8 core cpu than multiple cpus... Also helps with heat, and in the long run only helps a database in energy and costs.... Wont really help consumers for a long long time... I mean we had dual cores for quite some time, and still most apps wont use both cores to there advantage... So with quads out, there is no point in consumer octos...

I made this up. What would you guys think of and 8 core Extreme processor?

intelcoreiq82zf9.jpg

I did not know that intel was looking at making DDR Games too?

What are "demends"? haha.

Gotta love typos.

But other than that, I think the design of the ad is well put together. Everyone wants to instantly get into the numbers of it.

What is with the huge attack on this and all the posted rude remarks? Geez.
You all on your periods or something?

Yeah it looks cool no doubt. The accuracy of the article is what I am questioning. The guy can make good fliers, I just think he should do his homework. You feel me? There are already 8 core intel chips in the pipes and the specs are fairly well known, enough to make a dummy flier about.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Nehalem_(microarchitecture)

Its called Bekton. Its an 8 core server chip. 24meg L3 cache 4xQPI, quad channel DDR3, hyper threading gives it 16 threads. It will live on LGA-1567

It isn't a gaming chip, but i can see something like skull trail being made for it, and i expect some pretty crazy systems to come about.

Of course you could also base it on Sandy bridge which is a bit further in the future (2010 or 2011)

# 4 GHz clock speed.
# 4 to 8 out-of-order cores.
# Without SSE: 8 DP GFLOPS/core (2 DP FP/clock), 32-64 DP GFLOPS/processor.
# With SSE: 28 DP GFLOPS/core (7 DP FP/clock), 112-224 DP GFLOPS/processor.
# 32 KB L1 cache/core, (3 clocks).
# 512 KB L2 cache/core, (9 clocks).
# 2-3 MB L3 cache/core (8-24 MB total) (33 clocks), most likely pooled and dynamically allocated among the cores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom