Increase CPU usage in GTA IV

steve10765

Daemon Poster
I am looking to increase my FPS, and I am using around
70% CPU
40% RAM
92% GPU

I would like to know if there is a way I can set up GTA IV to use more of my CPU power so my GPU can produce a few more frames...

I would like to increase my CPU usage to 85% or so, then maybe I can get around 5FPS more.

I am running the mods ICEnhance and vegetover.

HERE IS MY FPS WHEN I PLAY(SETTINGS HIGH) DAYTIME
50-55 in an open or wide area, like the beach
30-50 in a small area while driving, or looking across the river
25-30 FPS speeding down a closed street with lots of cars

NIGHTTIME(with night shadows set on medium)
never of 50fps
4o-48 fps in an open or wide area, like the beach
30-40fps in a small area while driving
20-30fps speeding down a street with lots of cars

also during the day when im on the huge highway i get to as low as 21fps on the starting island, at night this must be horrible!

are there any mods or anything I can do??? I know I could lower the graphics but I want to Utilize my resources fully!
If you don't want to type and asnwer please post a link! Thanks!

Your GPU usage is almost maxed out as it is, so there wont be any increasing unless there is overclocking. GTA4 hogs a ton of VRAM so while you're increasing settings if the number on the bottom is red you need to turn it back down or else VRAM usage will bog down what can actually be produced.

what do you mean maxed out??? i have heard your not suppose to have it at 100% all the time(my temps were at 62C while i was at an hour long stress test=good)
so say i am not suppose to max out the cpu, then if i got it to 85% wouldnt that be good? i mean im only using 3/4ths of my power, so why not use 85%????

and i set my draw distance to 50 earlier so im using around 760mb of 980mb. i just want my fps to go up!

without the mods my fps is good but gta looks so nice with them!

Again, I find myself wishing people didn't stare at graphs and simply gamed more.

You have a quad core, no game uses 100% of 4 cores. Considering you are even getting 85% usage is good. What I meant is, your GPU usage is almost maxed out at 92% out of 99% meaning that more CPU usage wont give you more FPS. Rather, if your CPU was maxed it wouldn't be able to feed your GPU information fast enough. Granted with how high your GPU usage is right now, I would say your system is performing optimally considering how high of requirements it takes to play the game smoothly with real high settings.

What I'm saying is, you are getting what your system is pretty much capable of producing on stock clocks. Not much more you can do besides simply turning down settings or res. Not to mention those mods you are using taxes the system even more causing your FPS to be so low.

To elaborate on the CPU portion, that is exactly what I was talking about in my CPU article. Games don't use quads so it comes down to faster clocks and cycles per clock over amount of cores. If you overclocked your GPU you would see more of an increase in FPS than if you had more "CPU usage".

ok thanks bud, i know these mods take there toll, i would get around 20-40fps more without them but gta looks so good!

i thought gta 4 was multi core optimized, but it isnt :( i bought gta4 and fallout at the same time, now that i look again its fallout new vegas that is multi core optimized, not gta!

well hopefully gta5 wont be a port! i mean they could potentially do what crysis 1 and 2 did, increase the graphics and lower the specs needed.

coming from console where 30fps is locked and sometimes it drops to like 20 at some places it is a step up
considering the settings on console are medium
draw distance is 21
detail is 20
and density is low also

No game is really "multi-core optimized". They balance load different things like physics, sound, ect on different cores but the majority of processing is done on one core still. The mods are purely taking a toll on your GPU, so upping CPU wont really do much. Increase your GPU core clocks and you'll notice around 10FPS increase depending on how far you overclock.

GTA5 will be a port like everything else, and as it stands they have no plans of releasing for PC.

Back
Top Bottom