In search of specific device

Status
Not open for further replies.

s37d

Banned
Hey, quick question. I'm curious if there's any device that can hook up to an ethernet(rj45) cable and transmit a wireless signal. Think wireless card, but instead of hooking up to your desktop mobo's pci slot and receiving a signal, it's hooking up to a live cat5/rj45 and transmitting a signal.

I ask because I have a desktop downstairs with the router beside it, and a cat5 connected to the router running upstairs to another room. I'd like to connect this "device", if it exists, to the cat5 upstairs so that it can transmit a wireless signal in that room for a laptop or whatnot. This would be preferable to replacing my router with a wireless one, mainly because the reception would be poorer upstairs from a downstairs signal.

I'm not sure if I'd have to just get another wireless router upstairs, or if thats even possible. Thanks for reading appreciate it.

What you are looking for is just a simple access point. Connect the live internet connection to the device and it broadcasts a wireless signal (without routing)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom