I'm Stumped, won't power up...mystery...

Status
Not open for further replies.

waytoosmall

In Runtime
This is a doozy that I hope one of the experts here can help me with.

The rig uses an asus p5k-e mobo, q6600, 2 gigs of crucial ballistix ddr2 1000, a few WD hard drives, PC power and cooling silencer 750 psu. We were having problems getting it to post so I reset the bios using the jumper. That worked and it posted but pro-tools was still acting funky. We rebooted and i went into the bios to disable the floppy, saved, exited, no post. So I then again went to reset the bios..... and dropped the jumper. So I removed the jumper from the "Chassis" pins to again reset the bios. When I tried to restart, with no jumper on the chassis pin because I had moved it, I got an error saying "Chassis intrusion, system halted". It was probably a noob move to do this but I had no other jumper at the studio. So I moved it back to the chassis and left it off of the cmos jumper. Again, probably noob but I didn't know what would happen. It gave me the same error. I tried rebooting a few more times and same thing happened. So I headed home, got another jumper for the cmos, put it on, still the same chassis error. Again I turned off the power supply, reset cmos. I turned the PSU back on and the light came on on the mobo as usual, but when I hit the power switch....NOTHING. It won't start up. It is like it is shorting out or something. It won't even begin to power up. It just sits there. Did I trigger some safety stop by messing with the chassis jumper? I left the computer alone all night, with power plugged in, and will try again tonight, but I am real stumped on this one. I have had comps not post but never had one where it is clearly getting power, but pressing the button will not trigger a poweer up. I unplugged nothing, checked all power attachments... HELP!!! Thank you for any assistance.

Will

Iuno, you could try a total system reset.
Unplug power, press power button a few times.
Clear cmos (remove the battery, jumper on the other pins, whatever u wanna do)
remember to give it a few seconds before you replace the jumper/battery
Plug the power back in and try starting again.

This probably won't he help but I might as well post it. My husband's computer would not boot so we took it to the tech because I just couldn't figure out why it didn't power up. He couldn't figure it out either. He changed the power supply and CPU, still nothing. Then he noticed that **** reset button stuck in. A whole days work for a button stuck in.

Thank you, I will make sure the switches are not stuck. I removed the cmos battery tonight and will leave it out until tomorrow night. Sometimes that magically fixes things.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom