i7 920 @ 4.0ghz... Couple of questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok. Since my last post I've cleaned the old thermal paste off my heatsink and CPU. You were right Slay, looked like there was too much on there. I then applied the stock Thermalright paste. Gonna stick with it until my TX2 arrives.

Then I took your advice Calc and lowered my memory timings to 8-8-8-24. Then lowered the multiplier to 19 and upped the bus speed to 211. I then started lowering my CPUs voltage and doing some stress tests along the way to make sure it was stable.

I managed to get the core voltage down to 1.258. Anything lower and I got the blue screen of death after a few mins of a Prime95 blend test.

So far, it's passed a standard Intel Burn Test and a 20 minute blend test on Prime95. Max temp during these tests: 78C. But the temps were usually early 70s.

I'm gonna be running more tests in Prime95 and LinX in the near future to see if it's fully stable. But it's looking good so far.

Might even OC to 4.2GHz sometime soon! Thanks again guys.

Nice, you got it all the way down to 1.258, mine needs at least 1.3 to hold 4.0GHz but the actual voltage is under 1.3 (1.28 to 1.295), the BIOS settings are maximum levels and adding load will pull them down.

78C is now in the OK but still slightly Hot Range. I wouldn't try to go higher until you can get the Max. Full Load temperatures in the low 70C range consistently.

Better Paste (as little as possible)
a 2nd fan, or possibly two Hi-Performance fans with a fan controller.
Mod your case for Max. AirFlow

Just ran LinX. Turns out 1.258 wasn't stable. Failed after about 5 mins.

Upped the voltage one notch to 1.265. So far looking stable on all tests. Passed 3 runs of Intel Burn Test at Maximum, 50 runs of LinX and a 20 min+ blend test on Prime. And obviously still getting the same temps.

Going to be doing an 8+ hour blend test pretty soon. And then probably a 500 run LinX test. Just to make sure it's fully stable.

@Slay. I'm gonna order a 2nd fan (already tried actually but got an email the next day from the supplier saying they were out of stock). Once I get the 2nd fan and the TX2 thermal paste, I'll see what the temps are looking like and go from there.

Thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom