I wanna host my own web page, but how?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seria said:
That is the exact reason I continued the questions from 1-18. It would be easer for ppl to follow a continuous question thread rather than having several 1. 2. And 3. questions. I hope that this thread will grow far beyond question 18 so that it may help others even more than it has helped me.

(willsko87, your question is a #15b)

Yep :) I'll be here to answer any questions anybody has.

-Dan The Man

15 (c) - I forwarded ports 80 on my router to the IP address of the computer that is acting as the webserver (10.1.1.2), but when I try and access the page by putting in the ip address (eg. 215.246.12.15) on one of my other computers on the same router/modem (10.1.1.3) the dialog box to login to the router comes up. Have I put in the wrong IP address?

ATM is shows:
Private IP: 10.1.1.2
Protocol Type TCP
Private Port: 80
Public Port: 80

EDIT: Could it only show the login because the computer is on the same network and if I put in my IP on another computer it will come up with the page?

If you want to view what's on your server from your computer, you have to open your browser and go to "localhost" without the quotes.

Also, you must have Apache installed from www.apache.org .

-Dan The Man

yes...i have installed apache and put the webpage files in the folder. I can access the page by typing localhost, but when I put in the external IP address of the webserver computer on a separate computer to access my page i get the modem login dialog box.

willsko87 said:
yes...i have installed apache and put the webpage files in the folder. I can access the page by typing localhost, but when I put in the external IP address of the webserver computer on a separate computer to access my page i get the modem login dialog box.

Let me think....it has to be a computer not networked to the same IP. If that fails, it may be that your router, for some strange reason, has blocked the use of port 80?

-Dan The Man

willsko87 said:
ill check to see if my router hasnt filtered port 80 inbound and then try it again and get back to you

OK. You might also have to enable a feature called DMZ.

-Dan The Man

yeah i already had the Demilitarized Zone enable to my local IP (so I could use BT) and I just change two inbound port 80 filters to allows from deny but i still get the login on the other computer.
Also I asked before, I havent tried accessing this from a computer outside my network just another one on the same router. Would this be why im getting the login and if I tried it on a computer outside the network I would access the site?
Thanks for all this help!

willsko87 said:
Also I asked before, I havent tried accessing this from a computer outside my network just another one on the same router. Would this be why im getting the login and if I tried it on a computer outside the network I would access the site?

That would be EXACTLY why. Try entering your IP address in the browser of a computer OUTSIDE of your network.

-Dan The Man

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom