I.P. Address conflict

fallenapples

In Runtime
Every so often when I connect to the internet with one of my computers I get the I.P. Address conflict message. How can I prevent this from happening? I have about four computers shared between people; It usually happens when I reset the router.

Every so often when I connect to the internet with one of my computers I get the I.P. Address conflict message. How can I prevent this from happening? I have about four computers shared between people; It usually happens when I reset the router.

Assign static IPs on each PC and reserve from within the DHCP scope on your router.

Assign static IPs on each PC and reserve from within the DHCP scope on your router.

This.

When I have to re-image a machine in the field, I make an image from another lane in the store. Once the image has been copied over, I have to make sure to go in and change the static IP, machine name, and lane number to prevent these conflicts.

I have been doing networking for a very long time.

The ONLY time I see IP conflicts, is when someone sets up static IPs on devices then forgets what they are and assigns the same IP twice.

Unless it is a printer that never gets turned off or moved, I NEVER use static IPs, I let the router do it all useing DHCP.

I have been doing networking for a very long time.

The ONLY time I see IP conflicts, is when someone sets up static IPs on devices then forgets what they are and assigns the same IP twice.

Unless it is a printer that never gets turned off or moved, I NEVER use static IPs, I let the router do it all useing DHCP.

I run everything on DHCP too. But I have seen IP conflicts once or twice. It's pretty easy when like in my old house you have 4 smartphones, 2 ipads, 3 smart TVs, 3 PCs, 3 laptops.. etc. In theory there should still be lots of free IPs for it to allocate, but I did occasionally get conflicts, not sure why but I definitely did.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom