I am going Outback this Christmas / Summer Holidays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harper

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!"
About a month ago, I ran accross this website which featured a travel itinerary for what they called The Outback Loop. It covers Broken Hill – Silverton - Lake Mungo – Wentworth - Perry Dunes - the Murray-Darling - and the Riverina.

Very nice idea. However I have found that some of the distances travelled in a day is possible. However at the same time it really does not allow to people to soak in the sight. Like it's really good for those people that happen to get a week off work and go for trip. However if you are some one like myself who is getting about 3 week off (1 week will be with family), then I might as well add to the experience. Plus, I really do not see myself passing through North / North Western NSW again. So I might well make the most of it.

So far, I managed to plan the first 1/2 of my trip.

Currently I am wil be leaving on the 28th of December
Day 0.5 Dec 28 - My parent's place to Valley Heights. I have friend there. If I start my trip there, then i can get ahead start on all the other traffic wanting to leave sydney via the Blue Mountains.

Day 1 Dec 29 Valley Heights --> Mudgee --> Gulgong --> Gilgandra

Day 2 Dec 30 Gilgandra --> Warrumbungle National Park -> Coonamble --> Walgett --> Lightning Ridge

Day 3 Dec 31 Spending the entire day at Lightning Ridge as there is plenty of things to see and do there.

Day 4 Jan 1 Lightning Ridge to Bourke. THere is a few drives that you can take around Bourke. Depending on when I finish that, I might see if i can make it down to Tilpa that evening (about 2 1/2 hours drive). Tilpa is a outback pub in the middle of nowhere. I think it would be fun.

Day 5 Jan 2 Bourke --> Tilpa --> Wilcannia --> Broken Hill

Day 6 Jan 3 Broken Hill --> Motwingee National Park --> Broken Hill
And otherwise spending the day around in and around Broken Hill

Day 7 Jan 4 Broken Hill --> Silverton
Most likely be spending the night at Silverton as I would like to see the sun set at Mundi Mundi Look Out. Plus I will be travelling down Mad Max Way where they shot Mad Max II. I am looking forward to going to the Silverton hotel as they have a replica Mad Max II Police Interceptor. My childhood will not forgive me if i don't go there.

Now I just need to work out what i am doing after that as i start heading south to Mildura via Lake Mongo.

And then what I am going to do for my journey home. I have a rough plan made via Google Maps for this part where I will be going through the snowy mountains and then up along the south coast of NSW. However at the same time, I am not that fussed about this area I do see myself travelling along the south coast in the near future.

I am planning on taking my Holden Astra. Yesturday, I found that I can get up to about 600km per tank of petrol. Plus I have just fitted new tyres and front breaks.
I will be taking extra 25 ltrs of petrol and water with me. In my travels between Lightning Ridge and Mildura, there is only about 1 town every 300km. Although I don't think any thing will happen, it's not the type of place where i want to get into trouble totally unprepared. I do know that once I head into Lake Mungo, i will be on my own as there is no petrol station or running water in that area.

I have also been picking up some bushwalking gear too like Daypack, Hydration Packs, etc etc.

With just little more that a week before I start this trip, i desided to finish my travel plans this week.

Day 8 Jan 5 Silverton to Lake Mungo
Will be stopping along the way at Menindee and Pooncarie.
While i am Pooncarie, I will be check on Road and Weather Conditions for Top Hut Rd / Lake Mungo. Top Hut Road will take my car, but if it's been raining, i am going to need to detour to down to Wentworth, then back into Lake Mungo

Day 9 - Jan 6 - Lake Mungo to Wentworth
Will be spending most of the day at Lake Mungo.
In the afternoon, I will be heading out to Wentworth/Mildura/Tol Tol and spending the night there.

Day 10 - Jan 7 - Spending the day exploring Wentworth, Perry Sand Hills, Mildura. Spending the Night at Tol Tol.
The only reason why I am going to Tol Tol is that my god father lives there. Apart from that, there is really nothing else out there.

Day 11 - Jan 8 Tol Tol to Bendigo
Leave early from Tol Tol to head towards Bendigo.
Would like to revist Bendigo again. Last time I was there, I was at the Jamboree and all I wanted to do was veg out. This time i would like to see the site.

After that, I am going to head off to the Ettamogah Pub

Day 12 - Ettamogah Pub To Home
Spend the morning taking in the wacky hijinx of the Ettamogah Pub , then head on home with a quick break at Yass.

This week end, I am just going over my gear that I will be taking along with me and any other last second preperations.

Anyways, this should be all fun.

Make sure you pack well, in fact overpack if you have to.

Have a first aid kit, drinking/bathing water, emergency survival kit, even some type of weapon. Im not sure if they sell camelbacks down there but they're very nice, can carry 3 liters of water and very durable and comfortable.

Sounds like it is going to be a great trip. :D
Better be. I have been planning this for nearly 2 months now.

Make sure you pack well, in fact overpack if you have to.

Have a first aid kit, drinking/bathing water, emergency survival kit, even some type of weapon. Im not sure if they sell camelbacks down there but they're very nice, can carry 3 liters of water and very durable and comfortable.

In my car, I will have another 20 ltrs of petrol and 20 ltrs of water.
20 ltrs of petrol = 300 Km in my car
20 ltrs of water = Enough water for 1 week

I picked up a 3 ltr camelbacks. They are extremely useful for when walking and driving. I have strapped by camelback to my car seat which allows me to drink easier while driving.

That water and petrol will be handy to have in my time between Lightning Ridge and Mildura as towns are only every 300 km or so. When I am going between Menindee and Mildura, it would be foolish for me to travel with out food, petrol or water.

I will be packing some thing warm as I hear that even though the days are extreme hot, the nights can be quite cold too.

Completing the last part of my preperations now. I got my car and gear all ready. I was about to leave tonight, however my friend who lives in Valley Hieghts currently has the flu and he does not want to pass it on to me just am I starting my trip.

So I will be leaving from my parents early tomorrow morning. Currently debating if i take the direct route or sceanic route to Lithgow.

Might take the sceanic route as it's shorter and will have less traffic. The main direct route will have all the sydney traffic wanting to travel through to both Blue Moutains and Lithgrow.

Greetings from Lithgow.
I left at 5:50 am this morning. I just got into Lithgow 20 minutes ago. I took the sceanic route. There is some lovely country there which I need to travel back on some day.

I am just having quick stop down at MacDonnalds (no pay parking here) before heading off to Gulgong.

I have one of my clients who look in Gulgong who is going to show me the town.

Greating from Lightning Ridge!!!!!

Spent most of yesterday in the warrenbungles. Then did about 4 hours of driving in the afternoon / evening.

Was about the spend the night in Wallgett, but I did not feel easy about leaving my car out in that neighbourhood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom