Hybrid Home Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadwick300

Solid State Member
I would greatly appreciate some help on this. I'll try to be as detail and descriptive as possible. I'm trying to set up a simple home network between two computers so I can share a printer. One computer is a regular desktop computer and the other is a laptop. At one point I had broadband internet. I had a UTP cable going from the cable modem to the "WAN" labeled RJ-45 port on a router that doubles as a 802.11b wireless access point. A straight-through UTP cable when from the desktop NIC one of the other RJ-45 ports labeled "LAN". The laptop has a built in wireless adapter. It connected wirelessly to the router and the two computers shared the broadband connection. I never had it setup for the two to communicate directly and share folders, and files, etc. Well I dropped broadband because of expense. Now I have dial-up and each computer connects independently. The "WAN" port is now empty. However, the two computers are still connected via the router. Both have Client for Microsoft Networks installed, along with the TCP/IP protocol. File and Printer sharing is enabled. The firewalls are turned off. The wireless connection is not encrypted to keep things simple for now. The laptop shows a good strong signal and connection to the router. Both have the same subnet mask (255.255.255.0) My Network Places on the laptop shows nothing by the laptops shared folders.

To continue the previous post. My Network Places on the desktop computer shows both computers but can't access the laptop. It should also be noted that when I tried to ping one computer with the other it wouldn't take as if they weren't connected. I hope that's enough information.

Did you already share the printer?Also are the computers members of the same workgroup?Did you try sharing a folder to test it?As far as the pinging goes make sure the IP range is the same and both computers have are on the same workgroup and see if that works.

They are on the same workgroup. And I have shared folders setup but cannot access them from another computer. I'm really stumped about this one.

Try pinging by host name,if you can not ping by host name see what your node type is in ipconfig /all;You try to page in through my network places.

I had a ethernet and hpna hybrid before, ran with perfect ease till lightning decided to use it as its own personal gateway :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom