HTPC Build

peak times 8 to 10 mobile devices, main tv, possible another pc- typically 3-5 devices including main tv-

Single 1080p transcode: Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz (got that from plex)
they suggest 1080p/10Mbps: 2000 PassMark as a guideline-

so I am looking for something with a passmark of atleast 8k or higher?

goodbye $400-600

Last edited:
peak times 8 to 10 mobile devices, main tv, possible another pc- typically 3-5 devices including main tv-

Single 1080p transcode: Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz (got that from plex)
they suggest 1080p/10Mbps: 2000 PassMark as a guideline-

so I am looking for something with a passmark of atleast 8k or higher?

goodbye $400-600
One dude last night was converting Secret Life of Pets 4k to 720p for a tablet and it took 64% of 24 threads. Now I do have my stuff on slow (x264 transcode), but my friend's 4770k is feeling the heat on fast setting with 15 or so TVs. Most of that is direct play. Anything like a tablet or phone is going to require transcoding and if you have that many streaming at the same time I don't think an i3 will cut it. Core 2 Duo req was put there when they first started the project almost a decade ago. I think for large share servers they need to rethink what they're recommending people.

If you want to test it, transcode 3 or 4 1080p files to 720p at the same time on your machine using the fast setting. Also, all regular TF members are allowed access to my own Plex server.

Might help you on the processor decision: My old i5 5500k used 64% processor utilization encoding 720p @ 60fps (it was also downscaling from 1080p @ 60fps)

Another idea would be to put something like a thin PC connected to your network at other TVs in the house. Then use the Nvidia Gamestream service and Moonlight (chrome plugin) to cast any on-screen media to other PCs in the house - so other TVs in your home would be able to tune cable but it couldn't tune separately from the main box. Just an idea. And i'm not exactly sure if that 750ti supports Gamestream.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom