How to protect shared folders

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can just compress the folder or the file in question then add a password to it. It will need to be extracted before changes are made. There's got to be another way. I am going to boot into windows and see what I can come up with.

You have to set up a domain.

You can just compress the folder or the file in question then add a password to it. It will need to be extracted before changes are made. There's got to be another way. I am going to boot into windows and see what I can come up with.

cant archive them mate. the privately shared folders are being constantly used by the 3 computers.. mostly documents being updated etc..

i've basically almost solved my problem with the adavnced file sharing. it's a pretty simple thing.. .. i just gota find out why the heck some computers are PROMPTED to input a valid username/password when connecting over the network, and some arent.. they're just simply logged in by default.. which is allows em access to unprotected shared folders, but not in the ones i've specifically set to be accessible by a certain user only.. how the heck can i make them prompt for login and password?

You could put the three computers on a different network segment/subnet and they would be invisible to the other computers. The three computers would only see three computers in the network, while all the others would not see those three at all. Therefore they wouldn't be able to access them and vice versa. We have 5 different network segments here, and all I can see in my network places are the PC's on MY segment. There are other ways to get to the other computers, but that's a different story.

You could put the three computers on a different network segment/subnet and they would be invisible to the other computers. The three computers would only see three computers in the network, while all the others would not see those three at all. Therefore they wouldn't be able to access them and vice versa. We have 5 different network segments here, and all I can see in my network places are the PC's on MY segment. There are other ways to get to the other computers, but that's a different story.

thanks for the suggestion mate.. I've thought about this method but no can do.. you see, your only protection is subnet difference.. people can try to GUESS, figure out, or simply LOOK AT the TCP settings of the 3 computers are in.. compromised..

Then you may have to go with what Ethereal_Dragon suggested and configure the two networks and block access from one to the other. I believe you can grant access from one to the other but not back. Say the three are on segment A and the rest are on segment B. A can access B but not the other way round.

but i cant really.. coz my router doesnt have them features.. i can accomplish something similar via firewall software (Kerio Personal Firewall), but this is my last resort..

once again, my problem is "ALMOST" solved.. just have to figure out why some computers are not prompted to LOG ON to the network.. hope someone can help..

problem solved guys.. guy from another forum helped me out.. would like to share the solution for those who may need it..

basically, i needed to create the XP account of the connecting computer, in the computer with the secured shares.. not only that, a password MUST be set.. any password.. although the connecting users will not be logging in using their own XP accounts,but rather using the accounts set for the secured shared folders, apparently, creating the acccount nevertheless is needed FOR THE CONNECTING USERS TO BE PROMPTED for logon credentials..

geeesh.. such a simple thing.. cost me weeks. :(

thanks all.hope this helps someone also.

clever_j[/i] basically said:
Make sure Guest accounts are turned OFF. Create new user called "Share" or something similar -make sure that user has full access rights to those shared directories. Then when you go to map the drive from the other computers, tell it to log on as a different user and use the Share/pw you used to set up the "Share" user on those 3 machines, thus keeping everyone else out while allowing the 3 with the username/pw in.

:up: ;) That's what I said...

lol..

but actually i think i spoke too soon..

first of all i do acknowledge you mentioning that.. been trying so many stuffs, im getting confused..

however, i do remember when trying your method, it didnt work . yes it worked when MAPPING DRIVES, but i didnt want to map drives, simply want the user the get prompted when trying to access the folder via Network Neighborhood, or by directly typing the IP of the computer in the RUN dialogue..

and besides, i didnt need to create THE SAME USER ("share" in your example) in the CONNECTING computer if i wanted to MAP the drive. ..it works right off the bat just by ticking the LOGIN AS A DIFFERENT user..

and yes.. i thought my problem was solved.. apparently not. :( i thought that solution worked coz it did on first try.. but now, again, some computers JUST dont get prompted anymore. rebooted, recreated the account. nothing..

i tried a trick i learned, Security Policy options>Network Shares etc.. set to CLASSIC.. didnt work..

there's just something there.. that's making some computers automatically LOGIN as default user, instead of being asked for a username/password.. URRRGHH!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom