How to protect shared folders

Status
Not open for further replies.

clever_j

In Runtime
hi guys

i just setup network sharing for an office with mostly windows XP on em.. the internet connection is being shared by a router (192.168.1.1) and the rest of the network is connected to it via a switch..

The main part of office has 3 computers.. and the rest of the computers are part of the general office..

now file and printer sharing works fine.. however, i need to somehow SEPARATE the 3 computers in the main office from the rest of the network.. where their shared folders can only be accessed by THEMSELVES.. the rest of the computers in the network MUST NOT be able to see the SHARED FOLDERS on the 3 computers in the main office

HOw do i do this? i've tried setting the 3 computers under a different domain, but didnt do the trick..

please help

thanks

enlighten me will ya? i've never tried this group policy thing..

Ps
pls dont make me read articles and articles.. i just really need to get those shared folders secured.. quickly as i can. lol

was thinking of just using firewall.. but would like to do it windows level..

Have you tried right clicking the folders and setting share permissions? Do the people that need access to these folders also need access to the rest of the network?

You could set up access lists within your router (if you are using something other than a SOHO router), depending on if the other hosts need any access at all to these PC's....

Do the three "special" computers have XP on them? If so, you can password protect the shares so that even though they can *see* them, they cannot *access* them.

Make sure Guest accounts are turned OFF. Create new user called "Share" or something similar -make sure that user has full access rights to those shared directories. Then when you go to map the drive from the other computers, tell it to log on as a different user and use the Share/pw you used to set up the "Share" user on those 3 machines, thus keeping everyone else out while allowing the 3 with the username/pw in.

Have you tried right clicking the folders and setting share permissions?
umm.. where is this SHARE PERMISSIONS? I think i saw this when i deactivated the simple file sharing option.. but messing with the advanced propreties only got me more confused and stuff.. i couldnt get it to work right.. so im back to simple file sharing.

Do the people that need access to these folders also need access to the rest of the network?
for this situation no.. they do not need to share with other computers.. the 3 computers kinda have their own private thing going on.. however there is only 1 internet line, 1 router, and 1 switch... so i cant really separate them by hardware.

You could set up access lists within your router (if you are using something other than a SOHO router), depending on if the other hosts need any access at all to these PC's....
im afraid this option is not available in our LINKSYS router.. it's just one of em standard routers..

Do the three "special" computers have XP on them? If so, you can password protect the shares so that even though they can *see* them, they cannot *access* them.

yes they are all using XP.and yes i would like to do this exactly. How do i do that? and to think it should be as easy as rightclikcing on a folder and click on "password protect" ,.. sheesh..

Then when you go to map the drive from the other computers, tell it to log on as a different user and use the Share/pw you used to set up the "Share" user on those 3 machines, thus keeping everyone else out while allowing the 3 with the username/pw in.

problem is i dont do drive mapping at all.. everyone just basically goes to "network neighborhood" and the list of computers on the network are there.. that's it.

i tried once again, the advanced file sharing option.. I have successfully locked the folders to a user on the computer..

I created a user account on 1 of the 3 computers and made secure the folders on them, only allowing access to users using the USER i created .. however, like my old problem with advance file sharing, some connecting computers simply get ACCESS DENIED , without prompting them to enter username and password..

On some occasions, the connecting user gets prompted first for username and password of the shared folder's user account.. i dont get it.

what gives?

for this situation no.. they do not need to share with other computers.. the 3 computers kinda have their own private thing going on.. however there is only 1 internet line, 1 router, and 1 switch... so i cant really separate them by hardware.

If they don't need to share files then just delete the shared folder. DONE! Keep it simple. That doesn't stop them from using the other shares it just keeps them from putting info on the network that shouldn't be there.

If they don't need to share files then just delete the shared folder. DONE! Keep it simple. That doesn't stop them from using the other shares it just keeps them from putting info on the network that shouldn't be there.

oh but they do need to share to each other..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom