How do I create an Operating System?

Status
Not open for further replies.
you can make a special UIF on windows xp .. !
using the core of XP to load the drivers & to run the hardware ....
it is much easier & I did use the Multimediabuilder to build a very cool user interface instead of explorer with ristructions I put to prevent imployers from doing any thing but what they may need in thier work ..
all done by running gpedit.msc , changing the settings & later I put a code in my program to prevent gpedit.msc from running without a password ...
if you need more info tell me .. :)
sorry for my bad spelling .. :)

Well that's great buy why are you talking about the Windows group policy editor when the OP wants to know how to develop an OS?

He isn't just talking about tweaking a few settings and running a couple scripts.

I honestly think you need to have much more knowledge before you even attempt to think about creating your own operating system. You need such a wide variety of knowledge and even if you use a kernel already available it can be a huge task for one person. Yes, its a dream.. but no offence its like wanting to be an astronaut without knowing hardly about space.

To give OP a little advice as to, where to start.

I always thought programming was just another way to say "invent". Programmers program to solve problems, or make life a little easier for a person who uses a computer. Operating systems were invented/programmed to make a more graphical way for the end-user to interact with the files that existed within their computers. In the beginning, computers were just a command line... thats it!

By wanting to create an operating system, I would like to assume that you want to solve some kind of problem that Microsoft, or Macintosh, or the UNIX's hasn't solved yet. Which may probably force you to do a bit of pondering and brain-storming. While you do those things I would suggest that you start out small with some smaller problems to solve.

The way I call myself a programmer is by editing .cfg files for VALVe's source games. The problem that I wanted to solve was that I didn't want to go into options and keep clicking around and making sure my preferences were the way I wanted them. (They should auto-save, but they weren't for some reason). So entering commands into a .cfg document solved this problem.

From there I was so excited about making changes in the program that I wanted to see what other kinds of things I could edit or program/invent to help me solve some personal problems. I stumbled upon "Autoit" AutoIt v3 - Automate and Script Windows Tasks - For Free! . Which would be my suggestion for you to start on.

hope this helped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom