How do I create an Operating System?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bomb Toaster

Solid State Member
It's been my dream to create an operating system (from scratch), alas I know nothing about programming, so I'm here to learn.
I just want to know all the subjects I'll need to learn in order to create an operating system. I know programming is a necessity, but what other things do I have to learn?

Also, how long does it take to create a decent operating system?

Well considering that Windows first started in the late 80's and it took almost 20 years to get to XP and get that right. It was roughly 1985 when Windows 1.0 first hit. So figure 24 years later they finally have a decent OS in Win7.

Linux which is a UNIX variation has been around just as long if not longer. And they just discovered a major bug in their Kernel.

Now figure Linux is done as a community effort. So that they have many developers, coders and all of that working on it and they still have problems. It would take a long time for a single person to get it done by themself. Even working 24/7.

Just check out things like ReactOS which is supposed to be a open source Windows variant. They have only a few developers and they have been working for roughly 3 years with still many issues trying to get the various hardware of today's systems working.

So yeah, this isnt just some weekend task. Your talking YEARS of development to accomplish. If you want to be able to include anything like games and that which is done with Windows, ReactOS is going to be the closest.

It's been my dream to create an operating system (from scratch), alas I know nothing about programming, so I'm here to learn.
I just want to know all the subjects I'll need to learn in order to create an operating system. I know programming is a necessity, but what other things do I have to learn?

Also, how long does it take to create a decent operating system?
This would take years of constant work and a high level of programming experience on multiple levels for one person to ever come up with anything usable. As Mak said OS's aren't single applications that one developer came up with over one weekend, or even one decade. It takes a group of talented (not saying you aren't, but you said you have no programming experience) programmers and developers years to create something. Think, this isn't something you sit down and program, you have developers that lay out how the OS reacts, loads and works. Then additional years to program that.

VB and Java are two easy program languages to start. Go purchase a book like 'VB for dummies or VB for beginners.' Then build your knowledge base from there. While you won't program an operating system in VB, it will lay some of the conceptual groundwork that will allow you to branch into other programming languages.

Okay, since I don't have any experience, can I purchase an operating system base or something and build from that just so I can gain some slight experience. I'm too young to go to programming school.

No need to purchase anything. You can download the linux or BSD kernel for free.
Really? That's great. But I'm wondering, since I'm running windows now, would it allow me or even be practice to practice building an OS on top of another OS?
Sorry for so many questions, but I don't know much. :eek:

You would most likely have to build it within Linux. So you would have to install Linux.

I mean this in the nicest way possible. If you really dont know information like this, you really shouldnt be worried about building a OS at this point in time. Be it Linux or not. There is so much that has to be knonw from how to code it to how to debug it to how to get it working on everyone's hardware with the proper drivers.

Knowing if you can build a Linux OS using the Linux Kernel within Windows is something that should be known long before you attempt to build a OS.

Okay, thanks. I guess I should wait till I can get the proper teachings of all this.

^^ I agree.

As the others have said, you should learn how to program applications and get years of experience before you try an operating system. Walk before you try to run. Even Linus Torjvalds who started Linux, used UNIX as a springboard and he was a gifted programmer already.

Okay, since I don't have any experience, can I purchase an operating system base or something and build from that just so I can gain some slight experience.
Yes, Amazon.com: Operating Systems Design and Implementation (3rd Edition) (Prentice Hall Software Series) (9780131429383): Andrew S Tanenbaum, Albert S Woodhull: Books

This is written by one of the foremost experts on OS design, and comes bundled with the simple MINIX OS that the author wrote. Assignments in the book will have you code/modify parts of the OS, while explaining what's going on. Of couse, you'll need to learn to program first. This book is typically used as a sophomore/junior level university text book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom