House Not Wired for CAT5 - Connecting Xbox & PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dante_Caligari

In Runtime
I am trying to get DSL set up for my friend so that he can run his Xbox and his PC in his house so that he does not have to move everything around. The company is Quest, the modem is located upstairs connected via ethernet to his PC, but he wants to connect his Xbox in his room downstairs to DSL for Live. There is only a phone jack in his room. How do I get the DSL from the modem downstairs without stringing a ton of cord or some silly thing?

Is the modem a router also? Or use Ethernet over Power. Uses your home power line as a Ethernet link but will cost you a little more.

Hello,

Go wireless.

How would I accept a wireless signal from the router to connect to the Xbox?

Ethernet over power I think is the only option. I made a simple diagram that you can check over to make sure the configuration is correct:

diagram.jpg

Sorry for the absolute terribleness of the image, I made it quickly.

Ethernet over power I think is the only option. I made a simple diagram that you can check over to make sure the configuration is correct:

diagram.jpg

That's right, but make sure you have a router to share the Internet connection with 2 or more machine. The switch will not do unless you buy another IP address from the ISP.

diagram.jpg

You can purchase a wireless network adapter for your Xbox.

Or, depending on if you have other console's, or plan to get more consoles, you can pick up 2 wireless routers capable of wireless bridging, and it would be wireless only between the 2 routers.... the PC would be plugged into 1, and the Xbox into the other.

Well, we're a bit short on funds and are trying to find the cheapest method possible for now. I actually like the wireless receiver (MN-740) for the Xbox. I think that may interest my friend whom I am doing this for, and it is only about 99$. Is there going to be decent performance using a Draft N router when the Xbox is downstairs?

Thanks for your help folks. :)

If you are looking for the cheapest method, 802.11n is NOT the solution. You will be best off with a pair of routers capable of bridging.... probably $100 - $120

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom