CAT5/5E Wiring multiple Jacks

LabeeCDjc

Beta member
Can I wire multiple CAT5 jacks to the same cable? I intend to only operate one computer per CAT5 line, however I wish to have options as to where the item is plugged in. So, for example, my desire is to have two jacks in the same room. This way when the furniture is arranged I would have the option to plug my computer into either location?

Wouldn't recommend that. Eventually I'm sure you'll want to try and plug another network device into one of the jacks while one of the others is plugged in...and you won't be able to.

I understand. But, I can put more than one jack on the same line? This would not require any special terminators, would it?

You can do w/e you wish with the line, it's technically 4 pairs, so upto 4 ports... But, that is not a good idea, at all.

As telephone line, and ONLY telephone line, it will work, but for anything more, you should never, ever, do this. Cat6 cable is cheap, and Cat5 is even cheaper, buy a bulk roll and do it right the first time around, especially if you don't want data transmission errors and corrupted data on the network.

I'm thinking that my concept may not be understood. One CAT 5 line will only be used for one computer only. My desire is to put a jack on the opposite side of the wall in my office. This way I would have the option to plug my computer into either of the two locations. I would not plug more than one computer into the same line. I understand how this could be confusing, however I intend to mark the terminals clearly so as to prevent someone from using the same line for more than one computer.

In that case you won't need any fancy tools, just grab 2 cables, cut both in half and discard 1/4, then join the remaining 3 ends all together matching by colour. Run 2 ends to your wall sockets and 1 end to your switch or router. I don't think anything severely bad will happen if you plug in 2 computers at once, but yeah it'll definitely not work :p sounds like you'll have that covered tho

With that said, best recommendation is as said already, just run a proper cable :p if I really wanted to go minimum effort I'd buy a tiny cheap switch and stick it in right near your office, then just run all the wall ports to that very close switch instead of back to wherever the router is multiple times.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom