Home Protection

Since you guys are talking about guns
Looks like there was a shooting in Houston.
guy had 2600 rounds of ammo.
glad no one died.

He wasn't Muslim...phew!

The other way to combat this is to put a gun in every single person's possession and teach them how to use it properly. If you are going to commit a crime with a gun, and you know every single person carries a gun, then you're going to think twice about what you're doing since the chances of you escaping or damn near non-existent. So, do we make them easier to get and encourage proper safety and training and usage? Or do we make them illegal so that only the people willing to break the law carry?

Personally, I would think putting them in everybody's hands is the better of the two answers. Then if somebody is willing to take that chance of committing a crime, they'll mostly likely only attempt it once, because they won't survive the attempt.

The other way to combat this is to put a gun in every single person's possession and teach them how to use it properly. If you are going to commit a crime with a gun, and you know every single person carries a gun, then you're going to think twice about what you're doing since the chances of you escaping or damn near non-existent. So, do we make them easier to get and encourage proper safety and training and usage? Or do we make them illegal so that only the people willing to break the law carry?

Personally, I would think putting them in everybody's hands is the better of the two answers. Then if somebody is willing to take that chance of committing a crime, they'll mostly likely only attempt it once, because they won't survive the attempt.

Sorry but that is a deeply bad idea...

People need to have about 40 hours of driving lessons in the UK and a strict test to be able to drive, yet over 500 people a year are convicted of causing death by dangerous driving. And you can guarantee that figure is a small representation of the actual figure, due to the fact most would escape conviction. Plus 250,000 convictions for bad driving ignoring speeding offences.

tl;dr train and teach people all you want, there will still be a high incidence of missuse.

Last edited:
I was taught from a young age to never point a gun at anybody. Even toy guns, my dad would scold me (unless my cousins and I were playing war or something like that - but if I was just randomly pointing my toy guns at people or other family, he'd get after me). It stuck with me, and make sure to never flag anybody, even when I'm 100% sure it's not loaded - because I treat it as if it is.

I'm not saying it's a good idea, but it's an alternative that does make sense when it comes to blatantly using a weapon for a crime. The thing is, there is no right answer or good answer to it. All I can control is myself.

People need to have about 40 hours of driving lessons in the UK and a strict test to be able to drive, yet over 500 people a year are convicted of causing death by dangerous driving. And you can guarantee that figure is a small representation of the actual figure, due to the fact most would escape conviction. Plus 250,000 convictions for bad driving ignoring speeding offences.

tl;dr train and teach people all you want, there will still be a high incidence of missuse.
No it isn't. Perfect example, terrorist tried an attack here in Texas with open carry. Guess what, it didn't work. Haven't commented because the people who aren't living in America obviously haven't a single clue of what it's like and why our opinions are what they are.

It's why I mentioned before the same thing that we've been down this road already and why until now I haven't replied. I could easily say the same about stabbings in the UK, but there are far less "accidents" than outsiders are led to believe. Most if not all terrorist or "shooting" crimes happen in states that have stricter gun laws. Gee, I wonder why. Just food for thought. It has pretty much been proven that somebody with the ability to swiftly defend themselves and the people around them have a less chance of being in a situation where it's required. Even less when some thug to be can see you're visibly carrying. The only exception to this was the cop shooting in Dallas during the protest, but that guy was previous military and sniped the cops.

Last edited:
No it isn't. Perfect example, terrorist tried an attack here in Texas with open carry. Guess what, it didn't work. Haven't commented because the people who aren't living in America obviously haven't a single clue of what it's like and why our opinions are what they are.

It's why I mentioned before the same thing that we've been down this road already and why until now I haven't replied. I could easily say the same about stabbings in the UK, but there are far less "accidents" than outsiders are led to believe. Most if not all terrorist or "shooting" crimes happen in states that have stricter gun laws. Gee, I wonder why. Just food for thought. It has pretty much been proven that somebody with the ability to swiftly defend themselves and the people around them have a less chance of being in a situation where it's required. Even less when some thug to be can see you're visibly carrying. The only exception to this was the cop shooting in Dallas during the protest, but that guy was previous military and sniped the cops.

Maybe you guys should legalize grenades, then if there is a terrorist attack with grenades, you can attack back :p

It's simple. Your murder rate with firearms is so high because there are so many firearms. I don't know how this can be refuted. Every country with strict firearm laws has a very low incidence of homicides with guns.

Arming the nation just incase the tiny tiny fraction of 1% chance that you are involved in a terrorist attack is ridiculous.

Our murder rate is high with knives, yeah. But guess what... knives are legal, and everyone owns one.

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of guns but idk if having guns is the real issue.
Yes it is scary how easy you can get a gun or ammo here but I'm wondering if there's a deeper issue.
Like education, mental sickness, etc that causes people to go nuts.

I'm not a fan of guns but idk if having guns is the real issue.
Yes it is scary how easy you can get a gun or ammo here but I'm wondering if there's a deeper issue.
Like education, mental sickness, etc that causes people to go nuts.

Well yeah, if you could guarantee everyone who had a gun was sane and sensible, then it wouldn't be a problem.

*sigh* I can't resist, one more reply :p

Take a sec and look up mass shootings in the US. There's at least 9 that have happened in texas *alone*, most of which ended with the gunman committing suicide.
Tell me, why would a person who's planning on killing themselves care if you're armed or not? These "terrorists" are just as often your average american citizen, e.g. George Hennard, killed 23 and injured 27 before killing himself. Don't pretend like one cherry picked example of a failed killing attempt is somehow proof that more guns makes everyone safer.

It has pretty much been proven that somebody with the ability to swiftly defend themselves and the people around them have a less chance of being in a situation where it's required.

For those assault situations, it's been shown people with guns in their possession were 4.46 times more likely to be shot than those not in possession, and 5.45 times more likely to be shot if they had some chance to resist (i.e. were able to attempt to actually use their weapon in their defense). So much for that then :p

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2759797/

Also, increased risk of death not just limited to assault situations
Guns in the Home and Risk of a Violent Death in the Home: Findings from a National Study

This info is literally a 5 second google away. Honestly every time this discussion comes up I feel like I'm discussing religion with my mum again :grin: may as well be banging my head against the wall for all the difference talking about it will ever make. I'll stop this time for real now :p promise

Back
Top Bottom