Home Protection

With the proliferation of small cheap biometric equipment in smartphones you would think within the next 5 to 10 years they could at least make it a legal requirement for firearms sold to the public to require the owner and registered users to authenticate before being able to fire. It'd add like $5 to the cost of a firearm to put a fingerprint reader somewhere convenient. At least it would stop kids accidentally firing guns, or guns being stolen and used as a weapon in crimes.

They should also do a 'driving test' type thing for guns. You can't buy or use one 'til you've passed a safety and awareness course.
First part, won't happen. Unless it's a hand grip sensor that literally works the instant you pick up a weapon.

Second part, kinda goes against the whole bases of the country and the second amendment.

First part, won't happen. Unless it's a hand grip sensor that literally works the instant you pick up a weapon.

Second part, kinda goes against the whole bases of the country and the second amendment.

I think they'll be able to get a hand-grip based sensor to work < 100ms in a decade or so pretty easily. I think they're already at about 0.5s on the latest phones. Heck, they're making ultrasonic sensors soon which could be presumably setup to start scanning for fingerprints before your hand even touches the grip.

I appreciate the whole amendment thing is a huge deal that America is basically founded upon, but at the same time I think they kind of need to let it go, or at least revise it. It doesn't really fit in with the world anymore, and it's only going to diverse even more over the next decades and centuries.

I think they'll be able to get a hand-grip based sensor to work < 100ms in a decade or so pretty easily. I think they're already at about 0.5s on the latest phones. Heck, they're making ultrasonic sensors soon which could be presumably setup to start scanning for fingerprints before your hand even touches the grip.

I appreciate the whole amendment thing is a huge deal that America is basically founded upon, but at the same time I think they kind of need to let it go, or at least revise it. It doesn't really fit in with the world anymore, and it's only going to diverse even more over the next decades and centuries.
Won't work until it's perfect. Oh, robber is in my house and armed. Holding gun up and go to fire, nope didn't detect grip right now I'm shot. Idk how many times I have to redo my damn finger because my hand and sensor on the phone wasn't clean enough. I could only imagine how painfully bad that'd be in a situation where needing a weapon quick arises.

Again, bases of the country. It isn't going to change anytime soon. People need to understand that there ARE laws in place and there ARE ways of legally preventing people from getting weapons and there are courses you need to take but not necessarily to own. That doesn't stop me from going to Oak Cliff and asking the right fellow for a 9mil (or worse) without registration, background check, or even an ID check. Oh and my shotgun was a trade. Perfect example. Barber shop I go to get a cut at every month the dude had a gun case on one of the empty chairs. I asked what was in it, a hunting rifle. Told me he's selling for a friend who's wife said he had too many guns. If I had 250 in my pocket I would have owned it. Legally obtained weapon in both forms. Don't think half the people outside of the US really understands, nor do half of the people IN the US understand that it's not as "simple" as changing a few things. Not to mention, this country was literally made for certain freedoms. It's not exactly going to change overnight to United States of World Conformism. There's absolutely nothing wrong with owning weapons and I'm pretty sure we've had this convo a few times.

Back to the safety though, to carry a weapon (in states that carry is allowed) you have to get a CHL which requires courses and safety classes including an exam. This doesn't and probably will never apply to home defense though. They're also making it increasingly difficult to obtain ammo in bulk. Stupid things happen all the time due to irresponsible parents not teaching their kids respect and responsibility. Until this nanny state changes back to allowing us to properly discipline kids without fear of consequence things will only get worse.

Back to the safety though, to carry a weapon (in states that carry is allowed) you have to get a CHL which requires courses and safety classes including an exam. This doesn't and probably will never apply to home defense though. They're also making it increasingly difficult to obtain ammo in bulk. Stupid things happen all the time due to irresponsible parents not teaching their kids respect and responsibility. Until this nanny state changes back to allowing us to properly discipline kids without fear of consequence things will only get worse.

In SD to get a Concealed Carry permit, we just have to go into the county sheriff's office, ask for one, they run a background check, you pay the $20 (or w/e it is), and then you're good. They even print out a temporary permit for you while the actual one gets mailed to you.

Speaking of, I still need to go get my CCW permit.

In SD to get a Concealed Carry permit, we just have to go into the county sheriff's office, ask for one, they run a background check, you pay the $20 (or w/e it is), and then you're good. They even print out a temporary permit for you while the actual one gets mailed to you.

Speaking of, I still need to go get my CCW permit.
Not here, but here a CHL also allows open carry too.

Won't work until it's perfect. Oh, robber is in my house and armed. Holding gun up and go to fire, nope didn't detect grip right now I'm shot. Idk how many times I have to redo my damn finger because my hand and sensor on the phone wasn't clean enough. I could only imagine how painfully bad that'd be in a situation where needing a weapon quick arises.

Again, bases of the country. It isn't going to change anytime soon. People need to understand that there ARE laws in place and there ARE ways of legally preventing people from getting weapons and there are courses you need to take but not necessarily to own. That doesn't stop me from going to Oak Cliff and asking the right fellow for a 9mil (or worse) without registration, background check, or even an ID check. Oh and my shotgun was a trade. Perfect example. Barber shop I go to get a cut at every month the dude had a gun case on one of the empty chairs. I asked what was in it, a hunting rifle. Told me he's selling for a friend who's wife said he had too many guns. If I had 250 in my pocket I would have owned it. Legally obtained weapon in both forms. Don't think half the people outside of the US really understands, nor do half of the people IN the US understand that it's not as "simple" as changing a few things. Not to mention, this country was literally made for certain freedoms. It's not exactly going to change overnight to United States of World Conformism. There's absolutely nothing wrong with owning weapons and I'm pretty sure we've had this convo a few times.

There isn't a problem with owning weapons for 99.99% of people but the 0.001% of stupid ****ing people who will happily shoot another human is the issue. And that fact that guns are so easy to get hold of just enables them people to do what they want so easily.

It's like, realistically, and this if about as an extreme example as you can make.. but, I could pretty safely make nuclear bombs freely available and legal for 99.9xxx% of people. Here's a nuke for you, one for me, one for trotter. All my neighbours can have one, all yours can too. It really wouldn't be an issue at all because the vast majority of the world would never be dumb enough to use one for any reason whatsoever. But there is always that dumb 1 in 100m son of a bitch who would decide to use it, and so for that reason it is incredibly ridiculously illegal to have a nuclear weapon. That is how the rest of the world see's guns, and why they're illegal in most countries. For the majority of people they are a safe and useful thing to own and a fun hobby if you like that kind of thing, but they can't be legalized here because of the 0.1% who would ruin it for everyone else whether that be because they are ignorant about gun safety, or they want to use them for illicit activities.

I don't think the US should ban guns because it would be an impossible enforcement and logistical nightmare. But I think they can do more than they do currently to reduce the missuse of firearms. I mean, I saw recently that there were more murders by firearm in Chicago last year than in the entirety of Canada. That's sad, and so far behind the rest of the world. There are too many people dieing, and it sucks. I don't know what the answer is, but it definitely isn't the curent policy.

Last edited:
What the ****? Man over here I can go down to the local Walmart and pick up a 12g no problem and leave it anywhere I like hahaha. No really, my Mossberg has been sitting at the door to my bathroom for the duration I've spent in my house.

Yeah see, you say "what the ****" at having to have a safe to store a gun. I say "what the actual ****" to your attitude around em :p they're not toys that you just throw in the corner of a room with a shrug and a laugh -_-

I get that there's guns everywhere and that control laws will be subsequently hard to implement, but that's not an excuse to do nothing at all about the problem.
The problem, by the way, being where there's mass shootings happening regularly across the entire country, for years. Just in case that wasn't clear. That's all I'll say about it anyway, not interested in getting into a discussion where I'm told by all the Americans on the forum that there's just nothing to be done :p in the end what you do is up to you, your country after all and I'm safe on the other side of the planet :grin:

There isn't a problem with owning weapons for 99.99% of people but the 0.001% of stupid ****ing people who will happily shoot another human is the issue. And that fact that guns are so easy to get hold of just enables them people to do what they want so easily.

Even if we made it 0.0001% of the population, that's still over 30,000 nutjobs who can just go ahead and buy a gun in a barber shop should they choose. Great :p

Yeah see, you say "what the ****" at having to have a safe to store a gun. I say "what the actual ****" to your attitude around em :p they're not toys that you just throw in the corner of a room with a shrug and a laugh -_-

I get that there's guns everywhere and that control laws will be subsequently hard to implement, but that's not an excuse to do nothing at all about the problem.
The problem, by the way, being where there's mass shootings happening regularly across the entire country, for years. Just in case that wasn't clear. That's all I'll say about it anyway, not interested in getting into a discussion where I'm told by all the Americans on the forum that there's just nothing to be done :p in the end what you do is up to you, your country after all and I'm safe on the other side of the planet :grin:

Even if we made it 0.0001% of the population, that's still over 30,000 nutjobs who can just go ahead and buy a gun in a barber shop should they choose. Great :p

It's strange.. it seems like there is some sort of correlation of Americans who own and like firearms, and Americans who dont want a change in gun law :p

See its funny because the firearm laws don't matter that much for curbing criminal activity. "Drugs are illegal, yet they're still everywhere." Making something illegal doesn't mean it will just go away. Actually, for the firearm topic, I believe it to be the opposite.

When I bought my first handgun I had to pass a background check in the store before I was eligible to make the purchase (background check was ran in about 10 mins while I was shopping). If laws were put in place that made it more difficult for good-standing citizens to obtain a firearm it would mean that a lot of legitimate people are less likely to jump through all the hoops to get the firearm.

'Criminals' don't get a firearm through the proper legal channels anyway. They don't go to a store and have a background check ran to be eligible to buy a gun. The gun market has evolved sub-markets (black markets) where criminals can buy an unregistered (or falsely registered) firearm, with a scrubbed serial number. They require no background check and leave no paper trail for investigators to follow.

Implementing additional laws will only effect those who follow the law. It will not solve our problem.

Last edited:
See its funny because the firearm laws don't matter that much for curbing criminal activity. "Drugs are illegal, yet they're still everywhere." Making something illegal doesn't mean it will just go away. Actually, for the firearm topic, I believe it to be the opposite.

When I bought my first handgun I had to pass a background check in the store before I was eligible to make the purchase (background check was ran in about 10 mins while I was shopping). If laws were put in place that made it more difficult for good-standing citizens to obtain a firearm it would mean that a lot of legitimate people are less likely to jump through all the hoops to get the firearm.

'Criminals' don't get a firearm through the proper legal channels anyway. They don't go to a store and have a background check ran to be eligible to buy a gun. The gun market has evolved sub-markets (black markets) where criminals can buy an unregistered (or falsely registered) firearm, with a scrubbed serial number. They require no background check and leave no paper trail for investigators to follow.

Implementing additional laws will only effect those who follow the law. It will not solve our problem.

Dunno, it's not that simple. The problem with the US is because guns were never restricted, there is a huge quantity of them available. So yeah, if they were simply made hard to acquire or illegal to buy, it wouldn't change much because they are already extremely prolific.

In the UK for example, pistols were once legal with a license which was quite involved in obtaining. So when they banned them in 1997 after a school shooting, it was fairly easy for the police to get rid of them. They knew of all the legal owners of pistols, and simply turned up and disposed of the owners pistol.

If someone wants to plan and commit a crime in the UK with a pistol, there are ways to do that. But you have to do your research on how to acquire one, it's risky, time consuming, and it costs thousands for a simple 9mm pistol and 9mm rounds are also very expensive compared to their 'real' cost if bought legally outside the UK. But yeah, if I decided that in 2 months I am going to kill someone with a pistol, sure I could probably get hold of one. But what the law stops is me and my friends all owning pistols, hanging around streets, getting into an argument with some random people and having a shootout. Because it would be so expensive and difficult for a group of friends to do that, no one does it unless they are actually planning on commiting an armed crime. Not to mention simply getting caught with a pistol would lead to a lengthy sentence in jail, let alone using it.

I think for the US, the best you can do is think long term. You're not going to get firearms off the street in 1 year, 5 years etc. But perhaps you start off baning or heavily restrict the sale of firearms. Then whenever police come across a firearm, they take it away and dispose it. Every time they pull a vehicle over, they check it. Every time they stop someone in the street, they check them. You setup random traffic checkpoints. You raid homes of suspected firearms holders. You set up anonymous drop off points for people with a guilty conscience to dispose of them (they do that here). Slowly but surely, you reduce the number of firearms in america. So perhaps in 30, 40, 50 years of a "war on firearms" you actually have a meaningful impact on how available they are. You will never get rid of them entirely, you can't in any country. But they are not like drugs, once a firearm is taken away it is gone forever. You can't take a handful of gun seeds and grow some more, they're precision manufactured objects, you'd have to illegally import them into the country why isn't easy at all.

So yeah, it would take a tough, active approach over several decades to legitimately cut down on the number of firearms on the streets.

Back
Top Bottom