Home Protection

*sigh* I can't resist, one more reply :p

Take a sec and look up mass shootings in the US. There's at least 9 that have happened in texas *alone*, most of which ended with the gunman committing suicide.
Tell me, why would a person who's planning on killing themselves care if you're armed or not? These "terrorists" are just as often your average american citizen, e.g. George Hennard, killed 23 and injured 27 before killing himself. Don't pretend like one cherry picked example of a failed killing attempt is somehow proof that more guns makes everyone safer.

For those assault situations, it's been shown people with guns in their possession were 4.46 times more likely to be shot than those not in possession, and 5.45 times more likely to be shot if they had some chance to resist (i.e. were able to attempt to actually use their weapon in their defense). So much for that then :p

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2759797/

Also, increased risk of death not just limited to assault situations
Guns in the Home and Risk of a Violent Death in the Home: Findings from a National Study

This info is literally a 5 second google away. Honestly every time this discussion comes up I feel like I'm discussing religion with my mum again :grin: may as well be banging my head against the wall for all the difference talking about it will ever make. I'll stop this time for real now :p promise

The statistics from NCBI really do highlight key points that people who own a firearm should know before making the decision to carry the firearm.

Everyone knows there is a difference between a gun and using a gun. "The gun doesn't kill. The person holding it kills." but what more people need to acknowledge is that there are 3 sides to this same coin - There is a difference between a gun, showing a gun, and using a gun.

Back
Top Bottom