Home Network - Username and Password

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnnyCat

Beta member
Hello,

I have 3 computers on a network (all connected to a router). Computers A and C are running XP Pro. Computer B is running XP Home.

Computer A can access B and C (simply by viewing the workgroup computers and selecting it) . However, when I try to go from B to A i am prompted for a username and password. I have had this network set up for some time now, and never before did I receive this prompt.

The only thing I added on computer A was a new account (for a total of 2) and passwords for each account.

Computer B, when booting up, does not go through the welcome screen, rather it just goes right to the desktop.

Now, what I DO NOT want to do is set up the same user accounts on Computer B. I do not want a login of any type. As long as a computer is behind my firewall, access should be granted to the shared folders.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

You must enable the Guest account in windows xp pro. Not the guest account in control panel/ user accounts, you must enable this guest account in adminsitrator tools/ computer managment/local user and groups. Windows XP home should be able to log in without a login prompt.

Windows use this account for file sharing to remote computer. The guest account can be left disable in user account, this account lets user login locally at the machine

Thanks for the quick reply.

I went to the the Computer Management, and looked at the Guest Account. The option "Account is disabled" was already unchecked. So this solution didn't work.

Again, my network WAS working. All computers were able to access the other. Now I have a logon prompt.

I should also note, while trying to figure this out -

When I enable simple file sharing, I do not receive a logon prompt, I just get the message it is unavailable. (Previously when this was working I used simple file sharing.)

With simple file sharing disabled, I get the logon prompt.

In XP Pro with simple file sharing disable you have to add the everyone group in the security tab of the folder you want to share.

Steps are right clicking on your folder select properties, click on share tab and share the folder then click on permission and check to see if the Everyone group is there, leave the permission as it is. Now click on security tab, the Everyone group is usually not located here so you will have to click Add and a box will appear. Click advanced then find now and you should locate the Everyone group, select it press OK, then OK then Apply leaving the default permission and click OK to get out.

In administrator tools go to local security policies\local policies\user rights assignment. Where it says "Access this computer from the network" make sure the everyone group is listed there else add it and where it says "Deny access to this computer from network" make sure no group is listed there.

Hope it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom