Hey strollin...

Some programs expect to see the pagefile to start. Which programs no idea.

And the rest will be forced to memory? Interesting.

What if it expects to see so much available?

Windows only warns you about the existence of the pagefile. It literally says so when you disable it. Do it and you'll get the exact size that you need to have in order for some programs to work.

With that said, I only ran into one game that needed a pagefile. Never happened to me before or again. (The game was Dark Souls I.)

I have disabled it before but long ago. Was doing fine til I ran into problems so it's back on and it went away.

Ok, got a ram disk setup and now X:. The virtual memory is moved to drive X: and 2 gigs in memory.

Way it is now, 2 gig for video ram, 2 gig for virtual memory via ram disk and 2x4 gig for system. That's 12 gigs total.

When I had the 32 gig cache SSD in my system I had it set up as a ReadyBoost. That worked well and actually sped up the boot time and most frequent apps. It is now the main drive for my Kubuntu box.

Last edited:
Noticed something interesting. I'm using a program that provided the ramdisk setup which I'm using for the page file. That program also saved the data to the HDD on the fly so when I shut down I don't lose that data.

On start up it writes it back to the ramdisk.

I've always felt that the time required to write things to the ramdisk at startup and save to HDD at shutdown pretty much negated any benefit of having a ramdisk nowadays.

IMO, a ramdisk was only truly useful when I had a floppy-only PC. I had a boot disk that copied command.com to a ramdisk at startup, otherwise DOS would keep prompting me to insert the disk with command.com.

Hell, my Pc's snappy, Don't tell it doesn't work. So what if the boot up is a little longer. No difference on shutdown.

Back
Top Bottom