help! installing ubuntu

Status
Not open for further replies.

prometheus66

Solid State Member
I'm trying to install ubuntu on my laptop to dual boot xp and ubuntu. the problem i'm having is the boot disc. nothing happens when i try to boot from the cd i made from the iso image (downloaded from bittorrent). I followed the directions from the ubuntu website and used that same program it said to copy it to a cd. when i try to boot from the cd, it doesnt work. it just goes to windows. what am i doing wrong, im not too familiar creating boot discs.

Any suggestions?

Either the CD is corrupted or you did something wrong when you burned it and it's not bootable, or you didn't set the boot priority to CD before hard drive and didn't save the setting.

These are the instructions i followed:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto

I used the same program it gave. I need to select "make cd bootable" in the burner program right? I did that and then selected an option that said to make it bootable for xp. Then i burned it (finalized).

Thats what i did, any of that wrong or something i forget? I downloaded the iso from isohunt. I dont know what i did wrong, once i get back home ill make sure i set the boot settings correctly- usually i just press f12 and say to boot from the cd.

isohunt is just a torrent website, like torrentspy, piratebay etc. it was a heck of a lot faster than downloading from the ubuntu website. it took me 15 minutes to download. it would have taken a few hours to download directly from the website.

no i didnt. Ill do that once i get the chance, and if its bad download it again from somewhere else? anyone know of a torrent of ubuntu that is good (if in case the file i have is bad)? its just so much faster.

Also, just make sure you check the BIOS, that the CD is to boot before the hard drive and make sure the setting is save. I wouldn't really rely on pressing F12.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom